FX7 vs GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX7 vs GL2

How do they compare ?
John Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, you must be aware that the GL2 is DV standard def at 720x480 and the FX7 is HDV hi def at 1440x1080. This has all sorts of implications for your editing workflow.

The GL2 is not a bad little camera at all. It is a 3-ccd cam, generally makes good pictures. It is designed to be run on auto for most functions, but can be run partially or fully manually for focus, iris, shutter speed, gain. Like most small prosumer cameras the manual controls are accessed through menus.

The FX7 makes superior pictures, in my opinion. It also is easy to run on auto. I think the manual controls are better laid out, and are more accessible, I'm somewhat biased towards Sony's approach on this. Arguably, it is not as suited to low-light situations. In my experience with the V1, this mostly means working a little harder on camera settings and more likely to need color corr in post (for low light).

Beyond those generalities, I think you need to get into suitability for what you shoot. What do you shoot?

Per other threads, the FX7 is being phased out and is in limited distribution at this time. Still a great camera. If you're serious about new purchase you'd need to think about sooner rather than later.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We film an outdoor show and we are looking to upgrade to HD, we have used the GL2 for the past few years and really like them. However we have had major problems with blue screen in colder weather. We have a friend doing the same thing and runs the older sonys like the GL2 and has never had a problem with his Sony. SO I'm thinking for the price right now it would be a good camera for what we do.

Thank you
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'd have to say that the FX7 is so much better than the GL2... The first thing you'll notice is that the picture is clearer, the colors are accurate, etc... Not to mention the increased number of pixels, which can be useful when doing bluescreen, especially if you shoot and edit in HD, and downconvert to to SD. Go for it!
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Remember videoing wildlife at there prime moving period of the day its usually right at breaking light in the morning and dusk in the afternoon. Your GL2 will smoke the HDV camera in lowlight. You can bump the HDV camera gain up but it still doesnt come close to the GL2 in lowlight capabilities and also your GL2 has a 20X zoom where the HDV is 13X zoom. Also with the GL2 you get PCM audio which IMHO is way better than the HDV MPEG audio. Also you will have to get some HD editing software because you dont want to downconvert HDV and edit you HDV footage in a SD form, it looks really bad. Shoot HDV, Edit HDV, then downconvert is the way to go. If I were you I would really look at the V1 Sony or the G1 from cannon. they both have 20X zoom and lowlight a little better than the FX7, but not as good as your GL2. Good Luck
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The FX7 has a 20X zoom
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Major Player

your correct, I was thinking of the Z1 with the 13X, Sorry.
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you guys, I was wondering about the low light. I think I will try it and see how it does. Most of the filming is done with good light but I will let you know how it preforms in low light. I use FCE HD so I should be good on that part. Thanks for all the help guy I appreciate it very much!
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Well, one more thought - it's a great time to be buying used Sony VX-2000, VX-2100, PD150 or PD170. These standard definition cameras are amazing low-light performers, and there are many fine cameras on the market as people move to HD. I've got a PD150 collecting dust right now - its low light is outstanding.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #10
Trustee

If you're shooting in good light, the FX7 will best the GL2 all day long. It's not even a fair fight.

One thing to consider is that the HDV codec does tend to degrade a bit with very busy backgrounds, say for example a wooded area. If your shot is mostly static from a tripod this wont be a huge problem, but if you're doing a lot of movement with a busy background, the encoder is a bit overloaded and the image suffers a bit. A bit. Not a lot, but a bit.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Also if you have the steady shot option (on) with HDV while on tripod panning, you get a floating type effect along with the HDV codec degrade. I like putting the steady shot option on an assignment button where it can be checked often to make sure its off.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Major Player

You might also consider the FX7's bigger brother, the V1. With rebate you can get a new V1 for under $3300 in the U.S. The V1 adds progressive scan, so you can possibly get full HD with 4:2:2 color (more color information than hdv's 4:2:0 for better blue/green screen keying) out of its HDMI or component jacks. I know; the FX7 has the same chipset as the V1, but the video signal is processed differently. Anyway, I just thought I would throw that out to give you another option.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7