Stuck with one mic, wanna swap? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Stuck with one mic, wanna swap?

Well, here's where I am with my v1. I had been tacking one of my AT835bs on it with a shock mount, and I was happy with the pickup. But when I put the camera on my steadicam pilot, I have significant balance problems, and the length of the AT835b shows in my light as a shadow. My current set up is here http://droptodesign.com/test/pilot/DSC_0042.jpg

So since balance and the light is an issue, I was thinking of just swapping my V1u mic out with something, the same length, same diameter, but would have a better pickup.

I'm not that much of an audio guru, so I wanted to request some opinions. I've read most of the microphone threads in the V1u. And I don't want to have to mortgage my house for a microphone, but I'm willing to spend between 300 and 500 or so.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Trustee

I have read countless post in the dvinfo audio forum and watched Ty Ford's excellent mic demo. I am convinced from reading, listening, and use in the field that a decent "short shotgun" supercardioid is the type of mic that most low-budget shooters need. A true long shotgun is not at all the magic bullet type of mic that people on a budget need. The shotgun mic has way too much low end reverberation to ever be the ideal mic indoors so it is really handicapped for filling the role as an all-purpose microphone. Also, you have experienced another drawback to a long shotgun mic in that the AT835b is 14.5 inches long! That thing could be used in an escrima match.

From all the mic sound samples I have listened to and the recommendations I have read, there are two good mics that should fit your description and budget. I'm sure others will chime in, but for now take a look at the Rode NTG-1 at ~8" and $250 or the AT4073a at ~9" and $550. I have used the AT4073a that a friend owns and it was the first mic that ever left a significant impression on me. I have listened to sound samples and the NTG-1 seems to be in the same ballpark and also has many favorable reviews from Dvinfo.net members.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I've worried about injuries with the AT835. And I've been reading tonite and still was confused. Thanks for the input, I needed it.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Marcus

I think I'll roll with that NG 1, I like the size. I get weirded out just having one microphone on that pilot, I think I can mount the NG just over top of the stock microphone, so it shouldn't be that huge of a balance issue.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Wanna buy an AT835b?

Gee, not a lot of difference in price between the NG 1 and 2..hmmm
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

K6

interchangeable heads and great pick up. how about the K6 series from Sekonic. love em.
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Trustee

The Rode NTG-2 simply adds battery operation ability to the same NTG-1. All this will do for you is add the extra lenght for a battery compartment. You have phantom power on the V1 so you don't need battery operation.
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yeah, length is what I'm staying away from. I ordered the NG1, hehe, it can't be worse than the stock mic
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:34 AM   #8
Trustee

Let us know how the NTG-1 works along with the V1. I also need a mic and have come close to getting one of the Rodes. I would like to know if the output levels in various environments work smoothly with the V1 inputs. For instance, does the NTG-1 pick up voices at a decent level from two feet away? The stock mic is okay at high pressure levels, but regular speech is out of the question. On the other end, is the NTG-1 appropriate for high sound pressure levels like those encountered at a musical performance.
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Sure Marcus, If by chance my old brain doesn't remember, just send me a reminder. I have a gig this weekend and will be stacking the NG-1 along side the stock mic.

Thanks again for your help.
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Yeah, length is what I'm staying away from. I ordered the NG1, hehe, it can't be worse than the stock mic
Darn, didn't get to you in time.

I would have heartily recommended the Sanken CS-1, a short shotgun that compares with the 416...

Mind-boggling steadicam setup you have there!
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Darn, didn't get to you in time.

I would have heartily recommended the Sanken CS-1, a short shotgun that compares with the 416...

Mind-boggling steadicam setup you have there!

Hehe, yeah Matt. Since we do multicam weddings, I had to figure out a pilot settup that I can switch to on the fly. For instance, we'll have the steadicam setup, but if we want to switch to the tripod, I need to be able to do it on the fly, without pulling a screwdriver out. I had to have that quick release adapter fashioned by a metal shop.

About the Sanken CS-1, I think I read somewhere (over my days of reading) about that micrphone. My goal in getting the Rode is to get the biggest bank for my buck for 'on the fly' audio. I have other mechanisms for the rest of my audio. Thanks again for the info though.
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Let us know how the NTG-1 works along with the V1. I also need a mic and have come close to getting one of the Rodes. I would like to know if the output levels in various environments work smoothly with the V1 inputs. For instance, does the NTG-1 pick up voices at a decent level from two feet away? The stock mic is okay at high pressure levels, but regular speech is out of the question. On the other end, is the NTG-1 appropriate for high sound pressure levels like those encountered at a musical performance.
Hey Marcus, I've uploaded some pictures http://droptodesign.com/test/pilot/ which show the setup I figured out. I used the Rhode twice this weekend. And from my first impression, it blows the stock mic away in terms of definitive speech etc, but it doesn't have the reach of my AT835bs. That's my first impression. For the money, I'm happy with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7