Shot Transition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Shot Transition

Can anyone explain me what is shot transition?
Mauro Moreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Major Player

A shot transition is basically what happens from one shot to another. The simplest example is the "cut." This is where it jumps from one scene to another. Another is a cross dissolve. This is where one shot overlaps the other for a short time until one overtakes the other. There are others, but those are the two most used and most basic.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Trustee

i think he's asking about that on the camera -?

if so, i can't be of much help having only played with it a couplke of times. from what i gathered, reading the manual and trying it out, you set up one 'shot', zoom out / in to a second, and set that as your second 'shot', then simply press the button and hey presto, 'shot transition.

i could see its use in certain circumstances, but they're not likely to come my way....

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Trustee

The shot transition adjusts several camera settings, not just zoom and focus. I'd need to refer to the manual, but I believe it can adjust iris and white balance between the two transitions. You can also specify soft transitions, giving a smooth start and stop to the zoom or other transition.

I use it as sort of a "cheat" in lieu of a more expensive camera, tripod, or a more steady hand.

I used it for the long zoom at the start of my UWOL entry where even touching the tripod at 20x zoom would make it wobble unacceptably (not owning a $15k tripod...). Even the Lanc controller was no good for this, I tried taking it off the tripod entirely, in which case I couldn't keep an absolutely constant speed.

It's also good for creating perfectly repeatable transitions time after time, such as focus pulls, which can be difficult to achieve with the servo controlled zoom and focus rings.
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Shot Transition is our friend!
If only we could activate it through the remote, it would be heaven.

It's very easy to use, but not so quick to set up.
So not every occasion let's you take advantage of it.

Your only salvation is to get really quick on entering the menu, set the time duration.
Get out and set A&B points.

When I was shooting a TV pilot I got asked to help, not everytime I could use it, mainly because It took too long to set it up.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

shot transition

A quick search on YouTube will find you a short video which demonstrates how shot transition works on a Z1....and it's similar on most Sony cameras that have this feature/no doubt others.

I've posted a link to this video on DVinfo before so a quick search should find it on here too - if I can find it quickly myself I'll add it in an edit in a minute.

Edit, found it in slightly more than a minute/less than 2.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hot+transition

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7