Sharpness Setting On V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 6th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sharpness Setting On V1

So I'm new still quite new with this Sony V1E, what is the suggested setting for sharpness? If picture profile is OFF does that mean it is at 0?

I've read default is 7 - some say 3, some recommend 4, so I'm a bit confsed.

Also does everyone recommend Steadyshot OFF to avoid jerky pans.

Thank you
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Nigel Cooper recommends a setting of 3 in his review of the V1E at www.dvuser.co.uk. I use 3 as well, but personal preferences may differ. View the output on a large screen and make your own judgement.

As instructed by the manual, I turn steadyshot off for tripod work - for pans, tilts and long slow zooms. Apart from those times when I forget, and stuff up the shots! I assign steadyshot on/off to one of the front three custom buttons to keep it handy.

The picture jumps sometimes, and it appears to be worse if you have the steadyshot set to the harder settings. Sometimes the effect is quite subtle and is hard for me to see in the LCD or viewfinder, and I don't see the problem until I get home and view it on a large screen

I just need to keep remembering to disenage the steadyshot. It's only a single button press, you'd think it wouldn't be hard...
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Check out in these posts for Steve Mullins comments, his book, he suggests 7-8 some others higher, I like 10-12 or more in a given instance, but all my profiles are set between 8 and 12 right now.for my video, although I capture with cineform, which has more a filmy appearance, I correct it back to sharp video because I personally like the sharper image, everyone likes something different I guess
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7