DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   how to over or under-crank with V1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/121303-how-over-under-crank-v1.html)

Sherif Choudhry May 10th, 2008 03:08 AM

how to over or under-crank with V1?

hi

any of you v1 experts over-cranking with a v1 - how do u do it?

Adam Gold May 12th, 2008 10:46 AM

I don't think you can.

Sherif Choudhry May 13th, 2008 08:15 AM

stupid of me......

Adam, dont i simply set a shutter speed of > 1/50th on my V1E (i'm in uk) and then play back on vegas timeline at 25fps?

Craig Irving May 13th, 2008 09:05 AM

I think you're using the wrong terminology when you say over-crank then.

If you mean using variable frame rates for quick and slow effects in-camera, then no the V1U does not have this feature. You will find such feature on the PMW-EX1 and PMW-EX3.

Adam Gold May 13th, 2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry (Post 876444)
Adam, dont i simply set a shutter speed of > 1/50th on my V1E (i'm in uk) and then play back on vegas timeline at 25fps?

Shutter speed is not the same as frame rate, although in some cases one can affect the other. No matter what your shutter speed you're still shooting and playing back at 50i or 25p.

The cam shoots at the same speed it plays back, which means it cannot over or under crank, to my knowledge.

Over-cranking means being able to shoot at, say, 120fps and play back at 30 or 60 fps for genuine 1/4 or 1/2 speed slow motion... which no cam in this price range does.

Ryan Postel May 13th, 2008 01:44 PM

The Panasonic HVX-200 and the Sony PMW-EX1 are the only two "affordable" cameras that are able to do what you are looking to do. The new JVC 200 does as well, but slightly more expensive.

"Variable Frame Rate" is different from "varying the shutter speed", as already pointed out.

To oversimplify things, the variable frame rate allows you to shoot at 60p and place into a 24p or 30p timeline to get that slow motion effect.

Chris Medico May 13th, 2008 04:20 PM

The V1 does have one overcranking mode. It will do 120FPS for up to 12 seconds. The result is good for web video but not much else. Its smooth but only about 1/4 resolution. It would work great if you could get away with a PIP effect with the lower res in the inset window. I've done that before and it looks pretty good.

Any serious high quality overcranking work will need to be done via the recommended cameras above.

Robert Young May 13th, 2008 07:55 PM

I have been disappointed in the V1 slow motion mode. It's fine for analysing your golf swing, but for a video production I get far better results slowing down regular HDV footage in After Effects, etc.

Sherif Choudhry May 14th, 2008 10:06 AM

thanks -

great forum, thanks for closing that one down for me.