how to over or under-crank with V1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Major Player

how to over or under-crank with V1?

hi

any of you v1 experts over-cranking with a v1 - how do u do it?
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't think you can.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Major Player

stupid of me......

Adam, dont i simply set a shutter speed of > 1/50th on my V1E (i'm in uk) and then play back on vegas timeline at 25fps?
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

I think you're using the wrong terminology when you say over-crank then.

If you mean using variable frame rates for quick and slow effects in-camera, then no the V1U does not have this feature. You will find such feature on the PMW-EX1 and PMW-EX3.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
Adam, dont i simply set a shutter speed of > 1/50th on my V1E (i'm in uk) and then play back on vegas timeline at 25fps?
Shutter speed is not the same as frame rate, although in some cases one can affect the other. No matter what your shutter speed you're still shooting and playing back at 50i or 25p.

The cam shoots at the same speed it plays back, which means it cannot over or under crank, to my knowledge.

Over-cranking means being able to shoot at, say, 120fps and play back at 30 or 60 fps for genuine 1/4 or 1/2 speed slow motion... which no cam in this price range does.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The Panasonic HVX-200 and the Sony PMW-EX1 are the only two "affordable" cameras that are able to do what you are looking to do. The new JVC 200 does as well, but slightly more expensive.

"Variable Frame Rate" is different from "varying the shutter speed", as already pointed out.

To oversimplify things, the variable frame rate allows you to shoot at 60p and place into a 24p or 30p timeline to get that slow motion effect.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The V1 does have one overcranking mode. It will do 120FPS for up to 12 seconds. The result is good for web video but not much else. Its smooth but only about 1/4 resolution. It would work great if you could get away with a PIP effect with the lower res in the inset window. I've done that before and it looks pretty good.

Any serious high quality overcranking work will need to be done via the recommended cameras above.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Trustee

I have been disappointed in the V1 slow motion mode. It's fine for analysing your golf swing, but for a video production I get far better results slowing down regular HDV footage in After Effects, etc.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #9
Major Player

thanks -

great forum, thanks for closing that one down for me.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7