Afghanistan is kicking my V1U's ass! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Afghanistan is kicking my V1U's ass!

Hey guys. I've been off the DV Info forum for a while. I'm bounce'n around Afghanistan try'n to get some stories.

Well I've got a little problem and I thought maybe somebody here could help.

My lens got dinged by something. There's a small dent about the size and shape of a pin head. Im doubting there's a way to order another lens and replace this myself. And... I doubt there's a camera shop around here (ha ha).

A small circle shows on the footage it's self. If I zoom in a bit, I can shoot past the spot. It's usable, but it's really hindering my work. I've read where you can get a marker and darken in scratches and it will cut out the light reflection and not show on the footage. But this didnt really work well. And it's not a scratch. It's a tiny pit.

Am I totally screwed until I get to the States?

I usually shoot with a clear UV filter to avoid this. But the V1U camera I have replaced the PD170 I used before, and the filters they gave me are too small for the V1U (I have new ones on order).

I guess this is to be expected. The people I replaced trashed 3 PD170's and 2 FX1s. But all I have is my one V1U and an old 170 for a back up.

Oh... and the dust. My Lord. I brought a nice portabrace rain slicker thinking it would help. Nothing helps... this stuff is everywhere. I hope I can make this camera last. Only been here a little over a month. At this rate, it's future doesnt look good. :-(

Last edited by Bill Valentine; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: mispell
Bill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds as if you need to tape up the cassette deck door once loaded, and keep using the rain cover rubber-banded shut underneath to try and keep out the dust. I suggest shooting in DV to avoid damaging dropouts.

Shame about your front element, and all for the sake of a protective UV... OK, only remedy is to stay away from wide-angle, because it's down there that the huge dof will bring the damage into sharp relief. There's no magic marker solution I'm afraid, you've just got to stay away from short focal lengths.

Shoot at maximum aperture whenever possible and longer tele - use the inbuilt NDs and raise the shutter speed if necessary. Does the V1 have an aperture priority mode that you can call on for this?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Valentine View Post
I've read where you can get a marker and darken in scratches and it will cut out the light reflection and not show on the footage. But this didnt really work well. And it's not a scratch. It's a tiny pit. :-(
I have heard that black shoe polish works. I never heard of a marker working. I have a friend who did the black shoe polish trick on a scratched lens and he said the results were amazing. I have never needed to try it. Good luck over there and be safe.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7