DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Sony V1 zoom noise, is this normal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/122557-sony-v1-zoom-noise-normal.html)

Antonie Koen May 28th, 2008 09:06 AM

Sony V1 zoom noise, is this normal

I recently purchased a demo V1 that has hardly been used. I think it's a great camera but only have one issue.
When I connect my headphones to the camera I can hear a buzzing noise when zooming in our out. I have my zoom value set to numerical on the camera and the buzzing noise appears (not overwhelming though) between the value of 50 and 99. It is rather obvious in quiet surroundings. I also filmed in a quiet place and when I placed the footage on the timeline, I could hear the same buzzing noise that I heard through the headphones. Also, I can detect a slight vibration on the chasis when using the zoom ring.

I would like to hear from other V1 owners if this is normal for this camera. I tried to search on this forum for simular issues but had no success.

Your comments are most welcome.

Justin Zimmerman May 28th, 2008 10:24 AM

zoom servo noise

get a microphone shock mount that fits into the top bracket of your camera.

this will get the microphone up and over your camera and away from all camera noise...

B+H has them.

Antonie Koen May 28th, 2008 11:25 AM

thanks for your reply Justin, much appreciated.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the noise that I am experiencing is normal? I know that I need to get a better mic than the supplied sony one so your suggestion for a shock mount mic is a good one I think.
However, I am trying to establish wheter or not I have a faulty unit, because it is still under warranty if anything needs to be fixed.

Mike Beckett May 28th, 2008 12:26 PM

Antonie,

This was (sort of!) discussed recently, although it was the similar FX7 rather than the V1:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=121549

My V1E makes a faint noise when zooming, a noise just like a very small and delicate motor being operated. And that's just what it is, the lens servo. My VX2100 did the same. You'll hear it when you use the zoom ring too, because it is using the same servo motors to move the lens elements.

Is it normal? I don't know if all cameras do it, but it does seem to be at least a Sony thing. If it's only in quiet environments and if the slight vibration you feel doesn't do any harm, then you've probably got nothing to worry about. I can't say I've ever felt the vibration - I've just double checked and I can't, but then I might have hard skin!

It's only really noticeable in very quiet surroundings, the sort of surroundings where you can even hear the tape mechanism too. A shockmount will help (like the Rode SM-5, which fits in the V1's mic mount), or use an off-camera pistol grip or bom if you have a spare pair of hands.

Antonie Koen May 28th, 2008 01:43 PM

Thanks Mike for the response and the link.

It seems like the noise from the lens servo is normal then.
At least it is not a serious problem with the cam. Almost sent it back to Sony, what a waste of time that would have been. The guys on DVinfo saves the day again.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.

Graham Hickling May 28th, 2008 02:06 PM

Hi - I'm the guy from the other link. Actually, I have to say that through the headphones I'm NOT hearing any unwanted noise - i.e., I'm not getting electrical interference picked up from the zoom.

What I was referring to in the other thread was subtle mechanical noise (best heard with your ear against the chassis of the camera) - which I've found is less pronounced with a tape in the camera, so I'm happy enough now.

Justin Zimmerman May 28th, 2008 02:28 PM

Happened with my PD150 and PD170 too. There was the electronic hum which the camera was renowned for...but the lens servo is easy to pick up with your mic too. get that mic AWAY from the camera!

Antonie Koen May 28th, 2008 03:09 PM

I feel much better after hearing of everybody's experiences.
This is my first non-consumer camcorder so I am rather new to all of this. As far as hearing the lens servo noise through the headphones are concerned, I disconnected the mic from the on-camera mount (with xlr cable still connected) and the mic could no longer pick up the noise. So, as it was mentioned before, I need to get the mic further away from the camera.

Mike Beckett May 28th, 2008 03:16 PM

Antonie,

EVen a few cm of difference helps - the mic in its default position really is just a couple of cm from the noise source.

You might like to think about an alternative mic as well. The stock Sony mic that comes with the V1 is very quiet (to my ears) and I had to turn the audio levels way up to 9 or 10 on the little wheels up on top of the camera, and also turn the headphone volume up.

A Rode NTG-1 is reasonably cheap (I have the similar NTG-2) and I don't have to turn up the gain so high. Comparible mics from other manufacturers are also available, but Rode is generally accepted as the best value for money at the "affordable" level.

Graham - I did notice that other mechanical noise tonight, and would you believe it I had no tape in. Which is why I never spotted it before. You learn something every day!

Jeff Rhode June 8th, 2008 01:14 PM

Antoine,

The shock mount will make all the difference in the world.
If you would like to keep the mic in the same location and not have it sticking way out on top check out this link for my product to hold the shock mount : www.thej-rod.com
No more zoom noise !

Ken Campbell June 13th, 2008 12:30 AM

I too notice a little noise when using the rocker zoom on the right side. I quickly learned to use that zoom as my quick zoom in between shots. I then set the zoom on the top handle to either very slow or slow (there are three zoom speeds I think) and use that one for my smooth zooms. There is no noise from the top zoom that I can notice.

Drew Mandac July 21st, 2008 01:07 PM

Ditto on the zoom noise. I just picked up a V1U and hear the servo noise through my earphones and can even feel the very slight vibration coming through the body of the camcorder. My FX1 does not have this issue.