V1 / NLE Thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

well, you can capture natively now too:

Sony HVR-V1 HDV Tape-Based Camcorder Support

Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 is compatible with the Sony HVR-V1 HDV camcorder, which is capable of recording 1080p24, 1080p25, and 1080p30 footage. You can capture natively or capture to either the Apple Intermediate Codec or the Apple ProRes 422 codec. You can also output back to the Sony HVR-V1 camcorder using the Print to Video command.

To natively capture 1080p25 or 1080p30 footage, you should use the HDV 1080i50 and HDV 1080i60 Easy Setups, respectively. Your footage will retain its progressive scanning even though it will be stored in an interlaced format. You can capture 1080p24 footage using the 1080i60 Easy Setup, but your captured footage will retain 3:2 pull-down in this case.

For transcoded capture of 1080p24 footage, 3:2 pull-down is removed during transcoding, resulting in footage stored in the 1080p24 Apple Intermediate Codec format or the 1080p24 Apple ProRes 422 codec format. You can also capture 1080p25 and 1080p30 footage to either format, although Easy Setups are not included for these formats. In these cases, your captured footage is stored in the 1080p25 or 1080p30 Apple Intermediate Codec or Apple ProRes 422 codec format.

Here are the recommended workflows for capturing from and outputting to the Sony HVR-V1 camcorder with Final Cut Pro 6.0.2:

* 24p/60i on tape: Capture to the 24p Apple Intermediate Codec or Apple ProRes 422 codec, then output to the HVR-V1 camcorder in 24p/60i mode.
* 25p/50i on tape: Capture to the 25p Apple Intermediate Codec or Apple ProRes 422 codec, then output to the HVR-V1 camcorder in 25p/50i mode.
* 30p/60i on tape: Capture to the 30p Apple Intermediate Codec or Apple ProRes 422 codec, then output to the HVR-V1 camcorder in 30p/60i mode.
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Zimmerman View Post
well, you can capture natively now too:

Sony HVR-V1 HDV Tape-Based Camcorder Support

You can also output back to the Sony HVR-V1 camcorder using the Print to Video command.

but what format will print back to tape?

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

i'm assuming 1080i.

will see soon enough...

anyone else KNOW?
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hello.

First, I shot and directed a pilot a while back and finally got a moment to get a nice Hi Res transfer to YouTube. It's broken into three parts. Each part has multiple sketches and each sketch was shot with either the Sony Z or V. The introduction and conclusion have a mix of both cameras.

I had no idea what I was doing with the cameras. Both were bought by the producers of the production and I learned on the go. It was a perfect experiment.

I edited on FCP 5 and worked with HDV natively. I used the Pro Res CODEC to prepare for final compression.

Second, I'm editing the first cut of a large project I shot with the V in two countries. I shot 9 hours - the project has to be less then 3 minutes long. I edited this one with the ProRes CODEC captured through firewire with FCP 6. This will be up in a week.

My YouTube site is: www.youtube.com/zimfilm

Look for the three part series: The Lance Profile Show.

Next week's project will be titled: CEF.
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Don't confuse the Lance Profile Show Pilot with the Save the Slugs OUTTAKE sketch...which was shot on the Z.

Be WARNED - the Lance Profile Show is no holds barred sketch comedy and not for the faint of heart! :)

ENJOY!

Here are the direct links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA78jyb_NyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTEh-O4h-b8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYNI30vKWI
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Well, here's the first cut. Won't be up long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5YLw92qoyU

Used the Pro Res CODEC!
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #22
Regular Crew

ProRes or Prores HQ?

Hi,

I am interested in using Prores to capture my V1E 50i footage into FCP.

Is the general consensus that ProRes is good enough and Prores HQ is overkill for V1E footage?

thanks!
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #23
Regular Crew

absolutely. also know that Pro Res alone uses considerably more HD space then native HDV editing on FCP, so be prepared!
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #24
Major Player

I have Premier Pro CS3 and so far, it has been pretty bullet proof even though I am using an operating system that I don't care for or trust, MS Vista. But I have a Mac question. I recently worked on a project where we used 2 - V1U's and an EX1. Someone else was handling all of the editing chores. The program was edited on FCP in some hot rod Mac and everything has the latest greatest upgrades. They also had a BlackMagic breakout box that cost about $2200 (?) and they used the HDMI input on the BlackMagic to digitize using ProRes @ 1920 x 1080. But they kept having lock ups after a very short time (less than a minute). And the files they were getting were HUGE. They finally got it to work by selecting a much lower resolution which wasn't terrible in this case, since the final product was going to be SD 4 x 3. I hope to do more work with this editor but what was going on? Any ideas that I can pass along? I was surprised at all the trouble he was having with the HD footage.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi,
I have started to use the Apple ProRes codec to capture my V1E footage and this is what I found.

Interval recordings: I had problems capturing Interval recordings from the V1E with FCP but using the Apple ProRes codec I had no problems at all.

File size: Apple ProRes seems to create file sizes that are 4 times the size of the default HDV codec in FCP! For nearly a full tape (58.23 mins) 42.8GB in ProRes compared to 12.31GB with the default FCP HDV codec.

Another advantage to ProRes vs the default FCP HDV codec is that you can share files much easier. The default FCP codec only comes with FCP so if you want someone else to review the files they need FCP whereas the ProRes codec can be downloaded from Apple for Quicktime which means anyone can review the footage.
- Can FCE or IMovie work on ProRes material?
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I have been making my own Easy Setup preferences as per these links:
Capturing HDV Into ProRes Via FireWire
Capturing HDV Into ProRes Via FireWire | Moviola ? Training for Avid, Apple, Adobe & AutoDesk | Production & Post Prod. Rentals & Sales | Los Angeles, Hollywood, Burbank

I am trying to make a setup for capturing 1080 50i with Apple ProRes.

In Audio/Video Settings:

Summary tab:
Sequence Present: Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 50i 48kHz
Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422
Device Control Preset: Sony HDV Firewire

In Sequence Presets Tab:
Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 50i 48 kHz

Is this all correct? I am not sure about the Sequence Preset setting on the Summary tab and the setting on the Sequence Presets tab - they are not mentioned in the links.

On a side note I seem to have created a Easy Setup that I cannot find on my Mac - it is not in Library\Application Support\Final Cut Pro System Support\Custom Settings where the rest of the fcpre files are! Where could it be? I have tried using Finder to find all fcpre but it doesn't find it.
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Brendan, from your previous post you mention the ability to share a ProRes project as a limiting factor. Just in case you hadn't seen this, Apple recently released a ProRes plugin for Quicktime Player, and now anyone who has quicktime can view ProRes content.

you can find more here : Apple - Support - Downloads - Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder 1.0 for Mac
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #28
Regular Crew

And if you're a frequent Quicktime user, you should have automatically received that update, even if you didn't know it!

Nice find.
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM   #29
Major Player

Brendan, are you capturing directly from V1 into your Mac using firewire to prores, or a hardware interface in between, eg Matrox MX02? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
I have been making my own Easy Setup preferences as per these links:
Capturing HDV Into ProRes Via FireWire
Capturing HDV Into ProRes Via FireWire | Moviola ? Training for Avid, Apple, Adobe & AutoDesk | Production & Post Prod. Rentals & Sales | Los Angeles, Hollywood, Burbank

I am trying to make a setup for capturing 1080 50i with Apple ProRes.

In Audio/Video Settings:

Summary tab:
Sequence Present: Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 50i 48kHz
Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422
Device Control Preset: Sony HDV Firewire

In Sequence Presets Tab:
Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 50i 48 kHz

Is this all correct? I am not sure about the Sequence Preset setting on the Summary tab and the setting on the Sequence Presets tab - they are not mentioned in the links.

On a side note I seem to have created a Easy Setup that I cannot find on my Mac - it is not in Library\Application Support\Final Cut Pro System Support\Custom Settings where the rest of the fcpre files are! Where could it be? I have tried using Finder to find all fcpre but it doesn't find it.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM   #30
Regular Crew

v1 FireWire to mac.
What do you use?
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7