on camera lights for sony HVR V1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Takey. The Comer 1800 does make a big difference on the skin tone. Some thing to consider.
Manohar Hegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
From my personal experience (as a wedding videographer), I have tried LP Micro, SWIT light and then Comer lights. LP Micro and SWIT is color temp default at 5600K which makes it very blue to be used indoor. It's too "cool" to be used on brides that people looks like dead body. 3200K tungsten light is too orange.

Comer is 4500K which gives a good balance in between. I found out this 4500K color temp makes skin tone pops out nicely. Other 5600K lights has to put gel to lower the color temp, and at the same time, decreae the light output.

I have these posts with some videos you can see it yourself.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...test-more.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...ed-lights.html
Why would you use the Litepanel Micro indoors without the supplied filter to convert it to 3200K?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I did. I use the 1/4 CTO filter to shoot. otherwise the light is too "blue" to be used indoor. I can't use the diffuse filter or the full orange gel for obvious reason: the light output decreases dramatically if I use those 2 filters.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM   #19
Trustee

Has anyone had any experience with using the Comer 1800 where you've got sun light spilling in? Say in a daylight situation where you're next to a window? The 4500K seem like it might make it difficult in these situations.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Has anyone had any experience with using the Comer 1800 where you've got sun light spilling in? Say in a daylight situation where you're next to a window? The 4500K seem like it might make it difficult in these situations.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garret, I find that the 4500k of the light is rather flattering when mixed with outdoor lighting. As it's a bit warmer in color temp, especially on skin tones. It's not really a huge difference that I can see, but does give a nice separation to the image.

I find that the 4500k is a nice middle ground when mixing outdoor and indoor lighting, and I even like the look of it indoors under tungsten lighting without the color correcting filter applied. Personal preference I guess.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Michael,

Do you have any screen grabs showing this? I'm considering the Comer 1800 for roving interview shots. For the sit down have a full light kit but that doesn't do me much good when we're on the go. I'm going to be doing a series of interviews soon that will require me to be walking with the subjects inside a warehouse that has several windows.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7