V1 used on Travel Channel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Major Player

V1 used on Travel Channel

So the Travel Channel uses the V1, I also heard the food network has them, and on the travel channel, No reservations, they use the V1 in 24 mode. Anyone know how they get images they do in 24p. I am wondering on the settings, etc, if anyone had any knowledge of this, I sure would like to shoot 24p like that. I watch the show in HD and don't see the bluring, etc, when they pan, and they are always shooting moving subjects. There is some bluring, but nothing like I get when I try either 24p or 30p. I sure would like to get ahold of their settings.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hugh,

I don't know the Travel Channel's settings, but based solely on your comments it almost sounds like a shutter speed thing. What shutter speed(s) are you using for 24p and/or 30p?

I've been running at 1/48 for 24p and have been very happy with it. Prior to switching to 24p I had been doing all 30p with 1/90 or 1/125 (depending on my subject matter) and was very pleased with that as well.

Andrew
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I have done tons of footage at 24p various shutter speeds, and also 30p, same thing, finally settled on shooting 1080i, editing at 30p, then I don't have any issues, Its the Anthony Boudain show, No reservations, was written up in dv mag. they use V1 exclusively running anf gunning because of no set up time, on tv the footage is very good, and I don't know what they are doing, if anything different. I will find out sooner or later, hopefully.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yep - our entire documentary was filmed by Claudio von Planta on a V1.

www.hullfreedomtrail.com

Bit noisy in low light but fabulous pictures in good light.

We premiered the 90 minute edit in an HD digital cinema with a 75ft screen straight from an HDV deck through the 6kw digital projector. Looked awesome. Almost 3D!
Jonathan Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Major Player

trailer looks very nice, looks like the V1 is used more and more, care to share your settings you used to film.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Claudio shoots in 1080i HDV and exposes manually all the time.

Any crunching of blacks you see on this clip were done in post. Nothing special in the photography department, just an ability to get out there and get the story...
Jonathan Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No Reservations Article

and here you go...

http://www.dv.com/features/features_...leId=196604056
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Interesting write up about "No reservations". Having come from a back ground of professional cameras, I agree with the critical focus issues. All things considered, I think the V1 is a greatly underrated camera that is capable of producing footage way beyond many of it's competitors.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Just read that the v1 has been replaced with the Z7, its noticeable on tv.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
Just read that the v1 has been replaced with the Z7, its noticeable on tv.
Hugh, when you say it is noticeable, do you mean that you can see the cameras during the show occasionally and they are obviously no longer V1's or do you mean that you can see a difference in image quality?
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Major Player

both,yes it does show cameras once in a while, the other night the show was from the Phillipines, you saw the camera, yes image is noticeably better this year, the write up is on Anthony Bourdain's travel channel site, go to Q&A from crew. tells about camera, editing in avid and using Posthouse for fx and cleanup/color
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7