BITC window dubs from V1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Major Player

BITC window dubs from V1?

Does anyone know how to make the V1's viewfinder data (specifically, time code) appear on an external monitor in VCR playback mode?

I've been shooting a lot of HDV interviews this summer with my V1. In addition to transcription services, I need to provide my client with burned in time code (BITC) window dubs of the footage so that he can make informed decisions about clips and cutting points. I have a DVD burner with iLink for standard def copying ... and I've found how to display the V1's viewfinder information on an external monitor during recording. But I haven't figured out how to output this information in VCR mode.

Unfortunately, the only option for me is to bring the tapes to an edit/dupe facility for traditional BITC window dubs to DVD at an unfriendly cost. Does anyone know what menu this function is hiding in, or if it's possible without a 3rd party solution? Thanks!
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Trustee

use the analogue video out and from menu chose display tc.

i'll warn you in advance, there is NO batch capture with hdv. i work a lot of paper cut edl's, and with hdv i have (usually) no option other than grabbing the whole tape.

real pita.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Leslie -

In VCR mode, the DISPLAY SET menu provides the following options:

DATA CODE (off, date, camera data)
DISPLAY OUTPUT (LCD panel, V-out/panel)

With "camera data" and "V-out/panel" selected, I can get camera info to appear onscreen via analog output (f stop, gain, shutter speed, audio levels) but no TC.

Is there another menu option I'm missing? Thanks!

Sam
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Well ain't this a kick ...

The V1 will send TC info to an external monitor through the composite out connector but not the firewire iLink connector ...!!! Makes no sense, I can burn a window dub but with none of the iLink connectivity features. Kind of a pain, and lower quality too.

Oh well - glad to sort that out!
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Trustee

sorry sam, that's as good as it gets ;-(

mind you, i would never want to send 'pristine' footage out - i much prefer the reaction to the finished quality than have them take it for granted ;-p

good luck

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7