DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   HDV Reds... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/127354-hdv-reds.html)

Charlie Targett-Adams August 4th, 2008 10:54 AM

HDV Reds...

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I've been shooting some live acts at the minute in small clubs on my Sony V1E. Most of the venues just stick a red light on stage to get an atmosphere and this seems to make my V1 go a 'little' crazy. Jagged lines seem to appear around the outlines of things such as on the guitarist's shirt and the singer's face. I shot the footage 25p with no filters or other add ons. Does anyone know how to rectify this in FCP or how to prevent it the next time I shoot? Hopefully the screen captures have attached as Picture 1.jpg and Picture 2.jpg.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie.

Dylan Pank August 4th, 2008 11:55 AM

These are a result of the HDV codec's colour sampling system, known as 4:2:0, and it will; affect ALL HDV cameras, so it's not a V1 problem. Basically, while the resolution of the image is 1440x1080, only a black and white version of the image is of that resolution. The blue and red channels are only 720x540 px. In most cases this doesn't notice much, but when you have large blocks of one colour or another (as you have in your case) it shows up very clearly.

In FCP You could put a channel blur on the red channel of 1 pixel, but if you lay back to HDV tape or VC1/H.264 you'll just get the problem back again.

Dylan Pank August 4th, 2008 12:07 PM

duplicate post deleted

Greg Laves August 4th, 2008 01:03 PM

I shot a group in a local club with similar lighting using my V1. I checked the footage that evening and I didn't notice any of those issues. But I mailed the tape to the producer and don't have any way to go back and check it again. He said the footage was good, so I would assume he did not see any problems either. I was using a picture profile from this forum that was recommended for low light. And I shot in 60i but at 1/30th shutter speed to further help the low light level.

Dave Blackhurst August 4th, 2008 01:50 PM

I'm seeing what look more like interlace artifacts... which would indicate post processing issues rather than something related to the camera.

How does the footage look when taken direct out of the camera to a big monitor/TV?? Do the jaggies still show up? If they aren't showing there, you'll need to figure out how to reduct interlace artifacts in your post process.

Dylan Pank August 5th, 2008 04:09 AM

I'm not sure they're interlacing artefacts as they're not seen in areas of movement, though they could be related, I guess, given that the V1E records 25p to an interlaced stream.

Stephan Stryhanyn August 9th, 2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Pank (Post 916300)
These are a result of the HDV codec's colour sampling system, known as 4:2:0, and it will; affect ALL HDV cameras, so it's not a V1 problem.

Absolutely, you nailed it.

Charlie, there may be 2 work-around solutions for you:
1) Try using an intermediate-codec based solution, they upsample chroma to 4:2:2. With Adobe Premiere, I believe Cineform has been proven to reduce considerably this red blocks problem that is due to chroma subsampling. I don't know about EDIUS. As you're using FCP, try capturing to Apple ProRes.
2) Get an analog capture card and capture on the component output. I don't know if this works on the V1, but it's been proven on the Z1 which amazingly upsamples chroma on its component outputs, compared to Firewire/HDV.

Mauro Moreira August 24th, 2008 08:18 PM

Same problem

Charlie,

I`ve got the same problem when shooting a band with a red light on them.
But those "lines" didn`t appear in the tv monitor (normal tv screen, not lcd or plasma), and i shoot in dv mode, not in hdv.
This problem appeared with another camera too, the panasonic gs500, but in small amounts.

Stephen Armour August 28th, 2008 03:12 PM

Look like MPEG2 compression artifacts to me. HDV is nasty for that, just try doing chromakeys...

Only fix I know for the V1 is to get a BlackMagic Intensity (and something to put it in) and take that signal from the V1 via HDMI BEFORE it's been HDV compressed.

It's a pain, but the gain is real. Alternative is to change cameras to a HD...