Problems Connecting a V1U to computers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Jeff - thanks for the response... when my camera gets back from Sony (provided I cannot return it) I will give this a try.
Andrew Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #17
Tourist

No Luck.

Thanks Max and Seth,
Ive tried both of your suggestions and I'm still having the same issue. (ilink recognized on camera, not on pc or mac). I guessing its software issue within the camera itself. Speaking of which, does anyone know if there are any firmware updates for the v1 that might fix the issue? I went to sonys website and I see firmware updates for many of their cameras. https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software.aspx However there is not a firmware update "specifically" for the v1.

Thanks.
-dw
Dennis Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Dennis

If it is that bad, I would call your next Sony-Repair-Centre and ask them, if and how you can test the ILink-out of your camera. If it is "broken", you will have to send the camera in anyway

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Dennis, I had posted earlier in this thread on some easy setup's that helped to solve my connectivity problem, which must have jinxed me, because I had problems connecting/recognizing over the weekend again myself.

One thing I did notice is that while having problems recognizing the camera on my Mac Pro, when I checked the firewire connections ('menu' - 'about this mac'- 'more info' - 'firewire', or just go straight into the System Profiler then 'firewire') the V1U was not showing on the firewire bus, but the camera showed iLink as active, and HDVin was also displayed on the camera LCD. I tried a number of things to get it recognized again, rebooting & clearing PRAM, etc. Finally I shut down, removed power from the computer, waited a few minutes, reconnected power, started up again, and connected the camera, and checked system profiler, and the camera was now showing as connected on the firewire bus.

Then when I started FCP, everything worked like normal again. Very strange and flaky behavior, that was frustrating, but I was able to get the camera recognized again, and working with FCP and capturing perfectly once again.

Not sure if any of the above helps, but there does appear to be some strange behavior with the firewire/iLink connectivity. I didn't change anything on my computer when the camera stopped connecting, and I made no changes when it started working again. Including making no changes to other devices on the Firewire bus.
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

had this problem with FCP 5, but not FCP 6.

i used the same workaround you did. frustrating to say the least. fortunately, this problem has not plagued me since the upgrade...
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Justin, I am on Final Cut Pro 6.04. I have been on final cut 6 since before I got the V1U camera, so there must be something else at play here either in the camera, or related to system setup is my assumption (or maybe some interaction between the two that makes the connection marginal?). I don't believe based on my experience this is a FCP 5 versus FCP 6 issue, although FCP 5 may make it worse, no way for me to test that.

So far this has only happened to me twice, so hoping it does not become more frequent.

In the end, I love the quality of the camera, and will put up with this annoyance. I also have not reached the conclusion that I can completely blame the camera (yet).
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

yeah, i figured. just hoping it was an issue that might be solved by an upgrade. have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling FCP? i find the VU1 camera simply finicky...though i have yet to have issues with the newest version of FCP...as of yet!
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Justin, Given that my system was not recognizing the V1U on the firewire bus prior to launching FCP, and then after trouble shooting, it was recognizing it on the bus, prior to launching FCP, I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling FCP will solve the problem. Plus, that would end up taking much more time doing the uninstall/reinstall than what I have spent trouble shooting. At this point, with my particular issue I am going to see if it becomes more prevalent, and then may take more drastic measures if it does. I will keep my fingers crossed that the issue doesn't crop up very often.

If it does come up again, I may try a much more systematic approach to trouble shooting, and will post my findings here.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #24
Regular Crew

interestingly, though, i was seeing the iLINK light and the camera responding to the firewire out normally when i was using the previous version of FCP - but i could not get FCP to recognize the camera as a deck. i'd have to boot everything up then hot swap the camera when log and capture was up to get the footage in in native HDV.

with the new FCP and the new Pro Res CODEC, all is fine. that's why i'm wondering if it's a FCP issue, and the program is not creating the proper interface for the computer to recognize the camera on the bus. most likely not, as you've suggested. but it might be something to try if things get desperate.

good luck!
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Allen View Post
Finally I shut down, removed power from the computer, waited a few minutes, reconnected power, started up again, and connected the camera, and checked system profiler, and the camera was now showing as connected on the firewire bus.
This is risky, connecting PW devices while powered up. Some have been lucky for months, and then one day they have fried jacks.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I've had my eye on this camera for many months but not sure if... perhaps I should steer clear after reading these reports. Major bummer!
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Turkali View Post
I've had my eye on this camera for many months but not sure if... perhaps I should steer clear after reading these reports. Major bummer!
I wouldn't want to diminish the problems the original poster and a couple others are having, but they are in a small minority of users. I wouldn't base a camera-buying decision on this. If you search this forum, you'll see that many, many users are connecting up without issue to FCP, Premiere, Vegas, Edius, you name it.

Again, those problems are real, but affecting very few. Most forum threads are created to help solve problems, issues like this tend to get magnified.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #28
Regular Crew

i agree.

zero problems for me since i upgraded to FCP 6.0.4.
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #29
Regular Crew

answered in earlier post

Last edited by Jeff Turkali; September 25th, 2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: duh!
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #30
Major Player

I have had no problems connecting my V1 to either of my computors via firewire. Both have CS3. And a colleague who has a lap top and a desktop has had zero problems connecting through his firewire either. I have never worried about turning anything off before connecting or disconnecting, either.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7