DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Problems Connecting a V1U to computers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/129440-problems-connecting-v1u-computers.html)

Jody Amos September 5th, 2008 06:48 PM

Problems Connecting a V1U to computers

I just bought a brand new V1, shot some footage and tried to import but it would not connect to any of my computers. I've tried my other cameras, other computers, I have tried different firewire cables but nothing seems to work. Is there a setting in the menu options that I am missing? Any other V1 users have this problem?

K.C. Luke September 5th, 2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Amos (Post 929910)
I just bought a brand new V1, shot some footage and tried to import but it would not connect to any of my computers. I've tried my other cameras, other computers, I have tried different firewire cables but nothing seems to work. Is there a setting in the menu options that I am missing? Any other V1 users have this problem?

Which type of system you are connect to? MAC or PC?

What software you are using to capture from V1?

Have you switch to VCR mode on V1?

Do your system pop up any error message on Firewire connection?

May be you are using to downconvert HD to SD Im right?

I came across this problem when capture Downconvert. Always may sure you select the correct format project. I used APPCS3. HD-SD select SD format widescreen. HD capture select HD format.

Hugh Mobley September 5th, 2008 10:45 PM

The V1 is going to require xp sp2 otherwise there is a problem, the V1 only came out a short while ago and sp2 has the drivers to recognize the camera, I had same problem till I put sp2 on my machine

Jody Amos September 5th, 2008 11:22 PM

I have tried all the obvious things here MANY times. On a Mac, PC XP, PC Vista, SP2, SP3, etc, etc. I have many systems and many cameras - never had a problem until now. I am thinking the camera is defective UNLESS their is something new I am missing. The SP2 is a good thought but I have covered that. It's not a down convert thing either as I have tried all options (Squeeze, Clip, HDV). I have FCP, Premier Pro, and Vegas and it works with none of them. When you connect a camera, typically you will hear a "Da Dum" on a PC but I am not even getting that. I plan to call into the Sony Service Center on Monday unless someone can help me figure this one out.

Max Volki September 6th, 2008 02:14 AM

Let’s try to solve your problem step by step

As English is not my mother tongue, make allowance for wrong word selection
As you have all kinds of system, we use as example the same type as mine. State of the art PC, with XP-PRO SP2 / or SP3

1. With both devices off (Camera and PC) connect them with fire wire cable
2. Set camera to on, in VCR mode
3. Start PC

You should get a message “found new device” and after some time (!!) a message is shown “device is ready to use now”
In device manager you should see near the top ="Audio-/Video/Game-Controller", there you should see something like "AV/C……Device" (don’t know the English word)
When you open this, you should see under Detail, something like "AVC \Sony&HDV-VCR&typ"

Now download from this page HDVSplitt,
Paviko's website

HDV-Spitt works outside of all NLE-Programs and is also very good for testing the connectivity of your camcorder.

When you open HDVSplitt, you will see in the first window right at the top “Connected camcorder”, if you see in this field your camcorder, you know, PC and camcorder know each other and the problem will be with your editing software.

At least with HDVSplitt you can capture now your HDV tapes and import these files later in your editing program.

Can you report your findings till now? Is it ok so far?
We might have to try something else.

volki

Hugh Mobley September 7th, 2008 03:32 PM

try to go to control panel, system. hardware, device manager, sound video and game controllers, double click legacy video capture device, see if there are any issues, if you are up to it uninstall, reboot computer and see if windows will find driver again, do you have windows disc, have you scanned your computer for malware, I am thinking this driver is corrupted, and it may need to have windows reinstalled to get it work.

Andrew Buchanan September 8th, 2008 02:05 PM

Same Trouble!

Having the same problem here... and this camera hasn't even gotten through the tape that came with it!?! Has Sony sent a bad batch of V1U cameras to retailers? I hope not. I am leaving this thread for the main forum for a post that is more specific to the problems.

Andrew Buchanan September 9th, 2008 07:36 AM

Jody - FYI my iLink port is dead. Having plugged this camera in literally one time then I started having problems, I don't think it shipped with a functional port. I suggest yours may have the same problem.

Victor Wilcox September 9th, 2008 01:22 PM

Philips Skype Kills iLink

FYI, capture via iLink failed for my HRV-A1U after installing software for the Philips Skype Phone. Uninstalling the software restore the capture functionality. It may be that just closing the application will do the job. I haven't tryed that yet.

Adam Gold September 9th, 2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Buchanan (Post 931305)
Jody - FYI my iLink port is dead.

If either of you tried to hot-plug the FW cable into the cam -- that is, if either the PC or cam was powered on when you plugged in the cable -- you may have fried your port. Always make sure both cam and PC are off.

Lots of threads on this topic here and elsewhere.

Andrew Buchanan September 10th, 2008 06:26 AM

Yes, Adam. I found that information... this was the first time I plugged the camera in at all, and I followed the instructions (plugged the camera in before I turned the computer on - the actual surge problem exist in the computer port). That is not what is going on here.

Also, as an aside, I think that is a BS meme on the part of Sony. I've owned a few FW devices in my life... including but not limited to XL1, XL1S, GVD-900, TRV-950, PDX-10, DSR-11, DVX-100 (A and B), DSR-500W, FX1, and now a V1U. This whole story about not "hot-plugging" FW devices was something that I never, ever heard-of or practiced until this most recent generation of camcorders. For the first 2 - 3 generations, I never heard of a burned out FW port... now it seems like half the cameras out there have one. Did they take out an isolator to save money? Are they buying cheap ports from another source now? Whatever it is, one could definitely call it a design flaw... as ever person I know that has owned a Z1U or FX1 has had to return it for service on the iLink port.

As you can see, in the past I have been a huge fan of Sony - their older gear was tough enough to hammer nails and grind gravel between video shoots (I think my GVD-900 and TRV-950 both had about 2000hrs before I ever serviced them). I am very disappointed with the quality of their newest units.

Jeff Allen September 10th, 2008 04:27 PM

I also had connection problems with my V1U when I first connected, was getting very frustrated with getting my mac pro and final cut 6.04 to see the camera. Then I changed my easy setup (found from an article on the Ken Stone website) in final cut, and now it works like a charm.

The easy setups are available here: http://edu.moviola.com/hdv_prores#new_easysetups

Even if your product is truly defective, these setups may be helpful once you get a new system, I find them extremely helpful in a number of workflows.

Regards,
Jeff Allen

Dennis Watson September 10th, 2008 08:37 PM

PC doesnt recognize V1

I am having the exact same issue. Ive tried connecting my V1 to 5 different machines (3 pcs and 2 macs). The camera recognizes the computer (the ilink indicator shows when connected) but the computers does not recognize the V1. Ive tried switching to DV and the issue remains. Lately Ive been shooting in DV and using and using my consumer cam to capture. But of course, the whole reason for buying the V1 was to shoot HDV! This is really a frustrating issue, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and send it to Sony for repair. Have any of you who are experiencing the same issue sent ur V1 to back to Sony for repair? If so is this issue covered under the extended warranty? If not how much did they charge to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Max Volki September 11th, 2008 04:04 AM

Dennis,

Have you tried "my" solution?

With this, we (European Avid-Liquid-User group for D / A / CH) solved quite a few problems of this kind.

What I forgot to mention, before you do it, clean the registry of all relevant "Sony"-points

Once or twice we had to set the camera (FX-7 / V1E) first in standard DV-modus, not Auto (!!) and start from there. Once the camera was recognised, it was easy, in a second step, to have it recognised as HDV.

volki

Seth Bloombaum September 11th, 2008 08:47 AM

Sometimes a PC will automagically choose the wrong driver for a camera. Here is the procedure to manually choose drivers for DV.

Here is the procedure for manually setting for HDV.

There was an issue that some people experienced with XP SP2, addressed here. You may need this microsoft patch for any 1394 camera connection.

Note that you set the V1 for DV output for the first procedure, and to HDV for the second - these are two different devices, as windows sees them. Also, you only need to do this once.

Later Windows XP service packs (SP2, SP3) seem to clear up some of these issues, but not always. Sorry I don't know anything about manual driver selection on a Mac.

Note to future readers - the specific drivers referenced above are most applicable to Sony prosumer camcorders. HDV for your camera - check to see if there is a reference to the manufacturer in the driver selection dialog.

***edit***
Seem to be forum problems with urls. You're gonna' have to copy and paste these into your browser until this gets fixed, not just click on them.
Here is the DV settings url: www.dvinfo.net/conf/927020-post6.html
Here is the HDV settings url: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/342698-post5.html
Microsoft url is OK?