fx7 returning...lower price - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Common, Jeff, I’m not offended at all. You were talking about my camera not my girlfriend, right?

I respect your negative opinion of the FX7/V1, it’s very much possible that some people share it too. But it is also most likely that other people do not have similar feeling or experience regarding the FX7/V1. So, to make some sweeping statement like “the FX7 is virtually worthless” would be at least incorrect…
Arkady Bolotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #17
Major Player

Having purchased the FX7 I can say it is much sharper than the FX1/Z1. As Jeff has stated once the lights go down the camera does not respond very nicely to it. It is a very good camera as long as you have adequate light. In fact there really is no difference between it and the Z1 in good lighting. Move up to the EX1 and it's a whole different ball game. You can make money off the FX7, a descent living as long as you can control the environment it's in. Once your asked for no HDV then you have only once choice and that's to start looking at the EX1, HVX200, or more expensive cameras.

The FX1000/Z5 is a very nice camera and should perform as well as the Z7. You know what's funny, even the Z7 has gotten mixed reviews as being a descent camcorder for event videography. Every single videographer I know that has upgraded to EX1's have been floored by the results and that has a lot to do with the 1/2" chips, and the lens. Neither the FX1000 or FX7 can come close to that, and neither the Z7 (but they have instant archive). So if your staying away from the dark the FX7 is more than enough for many hobbyist ad amateurs. It's at a really good price point now to.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
You mean you would buy two cameras, for about $4500 or more, instead of one like the fx1000 that's better than both of them?
Yeah, I might - as a business decision. One camera can't be in 2 different places at the same time. :)

Quote:
The FX1000 is the direct HD replacement for the VX2100, and I don't even have to see the camera or use it to know it will totally rule for it's price range.
I think this is absurd. Will it be the dominant low light cam in its price range? Certainly. But the days of VX/PD lux ratings are over.

And aren't you a wee bit curious to see if it stands up to the hype before buying it sight-unseen? So far all we've heard are Sony testimonials.

Quote:
This is the camera event videographers have been waiting for.
Could be Jeff. You go first. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I own one Vx2100, two PD150s, and one FX7. I routinely run at least three cameras and often four for weddings. Even with the poor picture of shooting with the VX2100 or PD150s in 16:9, they blow away the FX7 in low light. In bright light the FX7 looks much better, of course, because of its ability to shoot 16:9 natively, but still is too soft for my taste. Please keep in mind I shoot a LOT in low light, so that is why I am so adamant about the low light. In my job, it is critical. Wedding videography is extremely competitive here in Cincinnati, as it is everywhere. You cannot compensate for low light when you are getting a closeup of a bride's face during the vows. My footage from the VX2100 gives crystal clear SD images, and I rarely show a demo to any potential customer who doesn't sign on the dotted line after they see it.

I speak of Z1s, EX1s, etc., because I see the footage my friend's shoot. If I have an outdoor shoot, I will use the FX7 if the lighting is good. In the right light the picture is OK, but certainly not great.

My main point above is really meant to be that the new FX1000, as the direct replacement for the VX2100, will blow the FX1 and FX7 so far out of the water that, IMO it would be foolish to buy them. If you cannot afford the FX1000, and you are looking for a cheap camera, and quality of image is not that big of a deal, the FX7 might be fine for you.

I personally would rather scrimp and save and buy quality than to go cheap. I am selling my FX7 and at least one of my PD150s, and paying the difference for the FX1000, so I am putting my money where my mouth is.

There are those on bigger budgets that might criticize my buying an FX1000 instead of an EX1, giving me the same argument I use against the FX7. so I guess it all boils down to your budget and what you can get away with.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
My main point above is really meant to be that the new FX1000, as the direct replacement for the VX2100, will blow the FX1 and FX7 so far out of the water that, IMO it would be foolish to buy them.
Jeff I agree with you that the FX7 is not adequate for lowlight performance. The new FX1000 will not and I guarantee you blow the FX1 out of the water. It will be a nice upgrade but it will not blow it out of the water. The EX1 blows all of them out of the water yes, but the FX1000 will be a good upgrade not one that will blow them out of the water, I am sorry. The Z7 does not blow the Z1 out of the water if so people would upgrade to those quickly, but they are not. Why are event videographers upgrading to EX1's if the Z7's blows the Z1's out of the water? I'm sorry but your argument was valid up to the FX7 not being adequate for lowlight work, the rest is just emotional.

Since your going from PD150 VX2100 to FX1000's I think that is a good move but for those who have been there with their trusty FX1's, Z1's going to the FX1000's Z5's will be a good upgrade but not substantial. I have an email from a videographer who has used his Z7 and said it was a ok upgrade from his FX1's. I really don't see the FX1000 being more sensitive than the Z7 or the Z5 being more sensitive than the Z7. What point am I making? The FX7 is a good camcorder for anyone interested in it. Now it's at a price point for many aspiring videogs to jump on it. (Film students, Schools, newbies, etc...) I see no problem with it. For people like you and I, yeah it's not the best camera for us to be looking at, but it's not a bad camera at all.
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #21
Major Player

Jeff, where I use my cameras, I can almost always control the light. If I was a wedding videographer, I might choose another camcorder because you can't always control the light at weddings and having used the absolutely best low light camera (PD170/VX2100) anything else is going to suffer by comparison. But to say the V1/FX7 is a waste of money is very inaccurate. I find mine to be a very good tool. And I have succesfully shot in low light with the V1 and produced useful video that I was able to intercut with VX2100 footage. As for the soft images from your FX7, have you checked the back focus? If you have a back focus problem then it is very likely that you will have soft focus issues. I was on a recent 3 camera shoot with 2 V1's and 1 EX1 and the V1's performed great and there was no problems encountered when cutting between the 3 cameras. It is capable of produceing a razor sharp HD image. For HD acquistion at weddings or for shooting paparazzi video, the FX1000 will likely outperform the FX7 because of it's greater low light capabilty. But, from the specs I can find, it still looks like the PD170/VX2100 will have a slight edge in low light performance to the FX1000. There are still no perfect camcorders.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I obviously stumbled into the wrong forum. It should be obvious that I'm in a forum for folks that own and like this camera, but I wasn't thinking.

I own the FX7 and I don't like it. Period. To all of you who are happy with it, I'm happy for you! If you want to buy mine, it will be for sale in October just prior to the arrival of the newer cameras.

I have not seen nor held an FX1000 in my hands, I have nothing to back up my assertions on how great it will be (for the money). I could be completely wrong.

To me, the minimum lux of 4 for the FX7 and rating of 1.5 for the FX1000 are a significant difference.

If low light is not critical to you, than I suppose it makes no difference.

I still feel I wasted my money on the FX7, and that will not change. I should have waited. Now I'm saddled with a camera I paid $2000 used, rarely use, and will be lucky to get anything decent for it. By the way, what are used FX7 going for now?
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
By the way, what are used FX7 going for now?
I sold mine for $1700 4 months ago (bought for $2600) so with a new price of $1999 you maybe looking at around $1600. Jeff just so we understand and I make this clear, the fx7 is not a lowlight camcorder, and I know we both agree to that. I have had problems with that very reason which is why I sold it. The FX1 outperformed it in this area. When it came to everything else the camcorders were identical with the FX7 being sharper. No one is saying event videographers buy the FX7. I have a EX1 and XHA1. I wouldn't got around telling people that are interested in the FX7 to not buy it because of lowlight if they don't even shoot in lowlight at all. If event videographers were to ask my input I would say The FX1000, a used FX1, XHA1 or even the EX1 if they can afford it. The FX7 has a market now and I'm sorry you made a mistake purchasing it. Don't take that frustration on others when the camera is great for all other purposes than lowlight. I believe the people that will buy won't be using it at weddings and if they do I hope they use lights because it needs it.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I believe I said, more than once, that if low light is not critical than it makes no difference. Did you miss that part of my post? Thanks for the feedback on the used prices. If I'm lucky I should get $1600 as you say.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on the use prices. If I'm lucky I should get $1600 as you say.
I wish you luck on that. It's going to be hard to get $1600 clean after shipping costs and fees. You're looking at $1500 in pocket at the most after Nov.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Yep. Without a doubt I made a poor choice, you are right about that. I knew it wasn't great in low light, but I was shocked at the low contrast outdoors. Again, I'll say it isn't a bad camera, but I'm not happy with it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; September 17th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
.... You can make money off the FX7, a descent living as long as you can control the environment it's in.... So if your staying away from the dark the FX7 is more than enough for many hobbyist ad amateurs. It's at a really good price point now to.
Monday and Jeff
I have the FX7 and sure I am making money out of it. Besides other events that I have filmed, I have done so far 4 weddings and charged top prices and my clients are very satisfied with the end result. If the area or subject to film is not illuminated properly then I use lights, that's it no problem. I am happy with the FX7 and soon I will get the FX1000 or maybe save some more and go for the HVR-Z5U.

Stelios
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Monday and Jeff
I have the FX7 and sure I am making money out of it. Besides other events that I have filmed, I have done so far 4 weddings and charged top prices and my clients are very satisfied with the end result. If the area or subject to film is not illuminated properly then I use lights, that's it no problem. I am happy with the FX7 and soon I will get the FX1000 or maybe save some more and go for the HVR-Z5U.

Stelios
I have to agree with the adding light statement.
I shoot event video as well, and used to shoot with VX2100/PD170's. And now am shooting with Sony FX1's. The FX1 is satisfactory in low light for me, even better in my taste than the PD170 or VX2100. This is because it gains up much cleaner and the color is more vibrant in low light. this is because of the larger color space of HDV over Sd video.

Also in ow light my PD170 color would turn to mud. I do shot entirely in manual and pus as much out of my camera that I can.

However when needed I have always supplemented light for a better image in low light. Either with on camera or off camera lighting (Two self powered 50 watt lights on 11 foot light stand by dance floor), which add that extra pop that I need to get good low light footage with good color.

Video like photos needs light, end of story. It's great that the PD/VX series could almost see in the dark, but who in the world want a night vision wedding reception. Add ligh when needed and you can get good images with almost any prosumer camera.
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Monday and Jeff
I have the FX7 and sure I am making money out of it.
Hey Stelios,
I actually made quite a bit of money with the FX7 in use for a entire year as the 2nd cam. I got my money's worth out of it and sold it for what I felt was a bargain price at the time. The cam needed lots of light at receptions and that's what I stated. If your going to use it for weddings you better have lights as you said.
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
I got my money's worth out of it and sold it for what I felt was a bargain price at the time.
I bought said camera at said bargain price and it's been worth every penny. I'd buy another at $2K any day of the week. Any day of the week that I had $2K just falling out of my pockets.

For the new price it might be the most camera for the money on the market today.

For a good idea of what the FX7 can and cannot do, watch this little video I made about a recent flood in my area of the country. You'll see wonderful images in decent light, and not so wonderful ones in low light. All in all I'd say it's still one heck of a camera, and it's prefect for flying on a hand held stedicam with it's smallish size.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7