fx7 returning...lower price - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Michael, I don't know if Adam's info about availabilty is more current than my info, but I'll tell you that I spoke with B&H last week and they said the cam was coming in 11/5. I called them Friday after 1pm only to learn they close at 1pm, so I didn't find out if the cams showed up or not. I have FX1000 ordered and hope to use it next week, but it's looking grim at this point.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #92
Major Player

I checked at noon and Sony says the FX1000 and FX7 or out of stock. My FX7 is on back order at B&H. Let the waiting begin.
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #93
Major Player

I see. So B&H already has them out just already backordered then..?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post

Personally I thought they should come up with an answer to the tapeless Panasonic HMC150 - basically a smaller FX7 without the tape mech... but who knows?
I was hoping that Sony would do something of the sort as well. It seems however that they don't want AVCHD infiltrating their pro/prosumer line. If they busted out a 1/3 inch CMOS cam that went to SxS then it would be pretty interesting....but that's probably not an easy thing to do while keeping cost down and protecting other segments of their market.
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #95
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
I was hoping that Sony would do something of the sort as well. It seems however that they don't want AVCHD infiltrating their pro/prosumer line. If they busted out a 1/3 inch CMOS cam that went to SxS then it would be pretty interesting....but that's probably not an easy thing to do while keeping cost down and protecting other segments of their market.
I am all in favor of going tapeless if and when the memory becomes a LOT more reasonably priced. Paying $1000+ for a P2 card or $700 for SxS cards for a very limited record time is just ridiculous, IMHO. I think the only tapeless system that is getting close to being reasonable is the CF Memory Recording Unit for the Z7 and the Z5. And being limited to HDV recording is fine with me. My HDV footage looks great but more importantly, my clients like what they see.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #96
Inner Circle

update on fx7/fx1000 shipping

I talked with a Sony salesman and he says these cams will not be shipping until early DECEMBER. I can't believe this and I won't believe this, I tell you!

I have shoots planned next week with mine.

I have been told by B&H that they have forwarded my inquiry directly to Sony and I will be hearing back from them at some point. We'll see.
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #97
Major Player

Thanks for the update jeff. That's a bummer that they are coming later than expected....especially since you had made plans involving them.

Man, I've been on the edge of my seat all month. I am really eager to hear how people like their fx1000s. Guess I'll just have to wait another month....
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #98
Inner Circle

Confirmed by B&H today, FX1000 shipping end of the month. While I'm sure no one else will have it sooner, if anyone hears of it's availability before then please post.

Edit: Amazon says will be released on Nov 22.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #99
Inner Circle

Victor, my back-ordered FX1000 shipped today. Maybe your FX7 isn't far behind!
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #100
Major Player

B&H finally has the Sony HDR-FX7 in stock. My order hasn't shipped yet, but it's in processing. Look's like I'll have it before Thanksgiving. :-)
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #101
Inner Circle

FX1000 first impressions

See my post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...pressions.html
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #102
Major Player

It's almost hilarious how much you hate the FX7.

Need to realize that not everyone needs the low-light and doesn't need to spend the extra money just to have it...

And I think everyone who read reviews knew the FX7 was terrible in low-light, but it was at the right price-point for the features it did have... and the images in daylight are awesome...

Considering that's all I shoot, it's perfect.

http://lousyhero.com/videos/epicprevhd.wmv
http://lousyhero.com/videos/epicprevhd2.wmv

All that has some post processing/editing...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #103
Major Player

Josh, the slow motion looks fantastic. What settings did you shoot with. I just got my FX7 Thangsgiving week, so I'm still tweaking settings.

If you don't mind sharing, what NLE and settings did you use in post?
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #104
Inner Circle

Joe, hate may be too strong a word...but yes I had issues with it that I didn't expect. It was worse in low light than I expected.

1/4" chips just don't can't cut when my competitors are using much better cams. I thought it would work for me, and I was wrong. As a spare cam for specific well-lit situations it would be fine. As a hobby camera it would be just fine. If this were only a hobby I would have a 1/2 consumer cam like the HV-30 and I would be in heaven. I love shooting with small cameras.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #105
Major Player

But why would you get a camera that has been reviewed as being terrible in low-light... for low-light situations... It's like believing MPG ratings on cars, saying "well this one says it gets decent MPG... " then being disappointed when it gets less then what was cited...

The slow-motion is possible with Vegas 7/8

Set your project settings to

Field Order - Progressive
De-interlace Method - Interpolate fields
Right click the clips you want to be slow-motion, set the playback rate on clips to .500 instead of 1.000

Render out as 30p... Wallah, perfect 60p-esq slowmotion with 60i footage.
Joe Busch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7