DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Sony V1 With Sony Memory Record Unit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/136995-sony-v1-sony-memory-record-unit.html)

D.J. Ammons November 1st, 2008 09:30 AM

Sony V1 With Sony Memory Record Unit

Now that Sony is marketing the HVR-MRC1K CF Recorder that comes with the Z7 by itself to be used with other cameras has anybody used it with a V1?

Lee Berger November 1st, 2008 12:26 PM

Thanks for the post. I didn't know this device existed. I downloaded the manual and it states

the unit can be connected to a computer or camcorder via the HVRA-CR1 i-Link cradle.

The web page states

For all other existing Sony professional HDV and DVCAM users, the HVR-MRC1K comes supplied with a mounting bracket to mount the unit on the accessory shoe of the camcorder.

I assume that you would connect a FireWire cable from the V1U to the HVRA-CR1 cradle. I'll bet that you could do simultaneous recording, but I'm not sure that the V1U's record button would start both tape and external recorder and that the timecode would match on both. Perhaps it would work like the 60Gig external hard drive used with the V1. Anybody know?

D.J. Ammons November 7th, 2008 09:23 AM

Lee,

It is not in my budget right now but definitely on my want list. Looks like a 16gb CF card will get you 72 minutes of HDV and a 32gib one 144 minutes.

I am looking for somethig to get me past the one hour recording time of HDV tape without risking the dropouts associated with the 83 minute tapes.

B&H has it for $849 and the DVW advertisement in the latest industry magazines says "under $800". Seems like quite the bargain to me.

I found 16gb CF cards for under fifty bucks and 32gb ones for under $100

Hugh Mobley November 7th, 2008 10:11 AM

I was at The DV Expo and Sony indicated it eill go well with the V1, any HDV setup, with firewire. This is a nice setup!

Lee Berger November 10th, 2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons (Post 960688)
It is not in my budget right now but definitely on my want list.

D.J.
It's not in my budget right now either, but something to consider in the future.

Brian Rhodes November 12th, 2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Berger (Post 958418)
Thanks for the post. I didn't know this device existed. I downloaded the manual and it states

the unit can be connected to a computer or camcorder via the HVRA-CR1 i-Link cradle.

The web page states

For all other existing Sony professional HDV and DVCAM users, the HVR-MRC1K comes supplied with a mounting bracket to mount the unit on the accessory shoe of the camcorder.

I assume that you would connect a FireWire cable from the V1U to the HVRA-CR1 cradle. I'll bet that you could do simultaneous recording, but I'm not sure that the V1U's record button would start both tape and external recorder and that the timecode would match on both. Perhaps it would work like the 60Gig external hard drive used with the V1. Anybody know?

I tested the unit before I sold my V1's I think the record button does activate the MRC1K. I also tested on a Canon v30 you have to push the play and record button on the unit to start recording.

Logan McMillan December 18th, 2008 03:52 PM

Got mine the other day and it works great with my V1. Sits up on top and is perfect for replaying shot instantly on set - no having to rewind a cue a hdv tape. It is a great accessory for the camera.

Yes the cameras record button does start both the tape and the recorder if both are set to the right mode.

Not sure about the timecode as my tape drive doesn't work properly on my camera due to water damage.

John Cline December 22nd, 2008 11:18 PM

Can the CF cards be read in a standard CF card reader, or do I need to use the unit to transfer video?

Brian Rhodes December 23rd, 2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cline (Post 982698)
Can the CF cards be read in a standard CF card reader, or do I need to use the unit to transfer video?

Standard CF card reader will work.