Print to Tape/Camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm Having

no problem shooting HDV, capturing with the AIC codec and doing a PTT back to HDV on the camera. My issue is with footage that I've captured as SD and printing to tape even after I've changed the camera settings to DVCam or SD. I'm beginning to think that the V1u won't let you PTT in SD if it was originally shot in HDV even after it's been downcoverted. That was just a last ditch effort to get them a tape for this specific project they could read. I generally much prefer to stay in HDV until final output.
Thanks for all your help.
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #17
Inner Circle

And you're sure all three settings detailed on P. 75 of the manual match? REC FORMAT, VCR HDV/DV and DV REC MODE all need to be set either to DV or DVCAM, as long as they match.

The cam doesn't know or care how the tape was originally recorded. It's just looking for data in the format you tell it to look for.

You've probably already done this, but you never know...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam

<detailed on P. 75 of the manual match? REC FORMAT, VCR HDV/DV and DV REC MODE>
I think I had those settings in the camera when I tried to print SD back to the camera but I'll give it another shot tomorrow and if I get it worked out will post my findings. Honestly doubt this is something (PTT to SD) is something that is frequently attempted and doubt I would ever do again except for this specific request. Guess I could always just provide a hard drive, just aiming to please..

Last edited by James J. Lee; November 8th, 2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo
James J. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The Answer

Well I finally, almost a year later, worked out my issues with printing HDV back to tape as an SD file (many final users are still requesting mini-dv SD tapes.) As I suspected, it's as simple as clicking the right box. Under Audio/Video settings go to the A/V devices tap and select "Different Output for Edit to Tape/Print to Video", and you can choose from drop down boxes, what format you want your sequence playing out in. Make sure the camera is set to the same format and it works like a charm.
The only strange thing so far, is that when I print directly from an HDV sequence our in SD, my camera records in letterbox. Whereas, playing out a SD Anamorphic (16:9) sequence, the footage fills the screen on the V1u. I'm not sure which is better for sending SD material to editors.
Hope this helps keep someone else from the same frustration. Best, J.Lee

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7