Print to Tape/Camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Print to Tape/Camera?

Do any of you have experience with printing from the NLE back to the camera? I've tried to follow all the instructions in the destruction manual and though the camera appears to be controlled via VTR and begins recordering, I see nothing but a blue screen on cam and don't see anything on the tape. Gotta have a setting wrong but it seems I've tried them all. I'm just trying to print DV footage back to the camera. Should be easy right??? Any help?? Thanks, JLee
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Trustee

camera?

software?

format? (sd/hdv)
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

James

you dont give much info

if it ist an V1 and you say DV, then:

Firewire connection OK?

Set the Camera to DVCAM/DV, not HDV or Auto (!!)

Use a tape which is precoded, at least the first few minutes

set the startpoint, in VTR mode, at a precoded point, and leave it "on"

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

V1u

I'm using a V1u. Footage was originally shot in HD 1080i60 but captured in Final Cut Express as DV-NTSC anamorphic. Now I'm trying to "Print to Video." Everything seems to work as it should EXCEPT that I have a nothing but blue screen on the V1 with the record light showing?
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Trustee

don't use fcp - but i can tell you that you can't ptt UNLESS the file meets the exact HDV specs. ie. the same as the original recording. had endless problems when trying to ppt from vegas only to discover that the only way was to render the file without 'smartrender' to the default m2t hdv format....

leslie

edit: sorry - what exactly are you trying to ptt? dv / hdv / anam?
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Major Player

If you invest in Cineform, I use NEO HDV, it is absolutely effortless, after you edit, to go back to tape from the NLE, In my case Vegas 8. Never could get Vegas to do it.All my stuff I want to keep on tape I render out to m2t and put it back on tape. It just works
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't get it..

Well I guess I'm not the only one that's had the problem but I still don't get it. This footage was shot in HDV on the V1u, then down converted to SD on capture. So, I don't understand why the camera would fail to receive the SD timeline footage. At this point, isn't it just a mini-DV deck? FCE's PPT feature seems to be functioning properly and seems the camera deck is the hold-up. But, I've set the V1u to record SD and tried an number combo of settings and can't seem to get there from here. I assumed I was just missing a setting or had a step out of order.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I have CS3 and I have often taken HDV back to the V1 with no problem. I never tried DV.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

HDV works

Yep, HDV Ptt seems to work fine. Unfortunately, I have a post pro editor working in Avid(pc) that can NOT work with my AIC 108060i Quicktime files and doesn't have a HDV deck so has asked that I just send a DV tape version. Unfortunately, FCE doesn't have many options for HDV codecs. So, if I can't print to tape, does anyone know of a codec conversion software that Avid recognizes. Getting this HDV (or even an SD tape) into his Avid workflow is more problematic than I ever expected.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #10
Major Player

another thing, it will not go back to tape if it does not fit the m2t template, it has to go back the same as it was captured.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

it was impossible to print back to tape until the newest version of FCP Studio was released.

this might be a problem with your NLE.

i've never down converted to SD so I can't help you there, nor have i used FCP Express. I can tell you that with Studio 2 it is now an effortless process to export / print to video in FCP Studio 2 in HD using the Pro Res CODEC.

good luck.
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James J. Lee View Post
Yep, HDV Ptt seems to work fine. Unfortunately, I have a post pro editor working in Avid(pc) that can NOT work with my AIC 108060i Quicktime files and doesn't have a HDV deck so has asked that I just send a DV tape version. Unfortunately, FCE doesn't have many options for HDV codecs. So, if I can't print to tape, does anyone know of a codec conversion software that Avid recognizes. Getting this HDV (or even an SD tape) into his Avid workflow is more problematic than I ever expected.
can his AVID read the Pro Res CODEC? the newest version of Quicktime had an immediate update.

time for a MAC editor...
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #13
Regular Crew

ProRes

Justin - That's a good question. Have done some searching on Avid and see no reference to ProRes. Haven't upgraded quicktime pro as I'm always reluctant to do so without first checking any compatibility issues. Wonder if I'd still have issues coming from a Mac to PC. Right now I'm looking for an OH based (if possible) PP house that uses Avid & has HDV capture abilities. Need to find the right place to post the question here.
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #14
Regular Crew

i went to school at OSU and OU - i know Marietta well.

sadly for you i'm out in Oregon and 100% FCP Studio!

hope Marietta is treating you well.

clink on my site if you'd like an intro to some of my films. several were shot in Ohio!

jcz

bricker-down productions
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #15
Major Player

If you downconverted to SD, then you need to change your on-camera menu so it's seeing DVCam from your NLE, not HDV.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7