DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Sony HG1758 teleconvertor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/137554-sony-hg1758-teleconvertor.html)

John Wiley November 10th, 2008 11:12 PM

Sony HG1758 teleconvertor

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody out there is using the Sony VCL-HG1758 1.7x telephoto adapotor on an FX7 or V1, and what experiences they have had?

My main concerns are how much vignetting will occur and whether or not it will be passable quality for HD.

I'll only use it about 10-20% of the time when shooting very distant surfers. I know it'll need a good tripod steady hand but I'm used to that because i used to shoot on a pana GS400 with a 3x extender (36x zoom total) so I'm well practiced with a very long lens.

Thanks in advance,

John

Mike Beckett November 11th, 2008 03:06 AM

John,

I would be interested to see how this works, but I'm not willing to spend £250 to take the gamble!

This is a 58mm lens, compared to the 62mm of the V1/FX7 (so it would need a step-up ring) but there must be something in it to make the Century 1.5x lens cost £700, or the 2.0x cost £1000! The 16x9 1.5x converter is slightly cheaper, still over £600 though.

I can only presume that there is a very good reason for these guys to charge so much. I've been tempted by the Raynox and other cheaper lenses, but their sample shots really put me off, the quality isn't there.

I fear I will just have to wait until next Christmas!

John Wiley November 11th, 2008 04:20 AM

I agree that these lenses are expensive... but I have the chance of picking one up for >$200 BNIB. Compared to $750 From my local sony store that is a steal.

I read in another post that the HG1758 vignetted at up to about 45% (5-6X) zoom on the VX2100 with it's 58mm threads... so should I at least have some breathing room on the FX7? Maybe vignette free over about 13x?

I think i would buy a second camera rather than the Century 2x. Lets see, for $2300 i could get a decent B-cam setup... Maybe a HC9 with the sports housing, WA, a few spare batteries, and a nice bag to put it all in.

Alan Craven November 11th, 2008 11:52 AM

When I upgraded my Canon XM2 for a Sony V1E, I tried my Century 58mm 2X convertor with a 58/62mm stepping ring. The vignetting (to my surprise) was no worse than with the Canon, but the focus and resolution was all over the place.

Unless the lens was fully stopped down, only the centre area was fully sharp, and the left hand side of the field of view was very bad.

I hurriedly abandoned this and bought the proper Century 2x at nearly £1000. This is a superb piece of glassware. It still vignettes below around 60% zoom, but the resolution is first rate and the colour balance is excellent. The only downside is the weight – at nearly 1 kg it distorts the front of the camera unless the convertor is supported – fortunately it comes with an adaptor for the standard 15 mm rails; though I adapted this to fit a self-made camera support which cost me around £6.

The convertor also comes with a superb lens hood.