New to FX7 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Right, but going back to the original post, there's no point in trying to do this via HDMI as there's no advantage over FW capture. No need for the extra HW and SW involved with HDMI capture.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
You can't improve upon the original signal, but if you transcode to a better codec (ProRes or Cineform) then all of your renders and composting will look better.
Don't need HDMI for that (unless that's live recording). Capture HDV over Firewire with device control, then the NLE converts to intermediate codec on the fly or batch - automatically. They will even upsample chroma to 4:2:2 for you.
Stephan Stryhanyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Stryhanyn View Post
Capture HDV over Firewire with device control, then the NLE converts to intermediate codec on the fly or batch - automatically. They will even upsample chroma to 4:2:2 for you.
Which NLE is that? Certainly not Final Cut Pro which can only capture HDV to HDV via FireWire with device control. Without device control you can capture HDV to ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec via FireWire.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
In hd mode it will always be 16:9 .i dont use Premier but take it your pc does not have a firewire[hdmi]slot so you use the capture card.The FX- is no different to any hdv cam regarding capture so it is not that your cam is not supported.
Sorry i did not mean hdmi but ilink 1394,other names for firewire.This is the only way i have ever captured from fx-7 and hc-1.

Last edited by Martyn Hull; January 14th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
Which NLE is that? Certainly not Final Cut Pro which can only capture HDV to HDV via FireWire with device control. Without device control you can capture HDV to ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec via FireWire.
EDIUS has device control and batch capture, and captures HDV directly into Canopus HQ intermediate with timecode. Routine built-in workflow, that's the way the software was designed.

Regarding Adobe Premiere with Cineform, I recall from early tests that Cineform's HD Link utility has device control and works like a 2-step capture-then-transcode. I'm not sure they went to the point of implementing batch capture though, their FAQ says so (through Premiere's capture interface) but Adam might elaborate on this much better than I could.

Sorry about FCP / ProRes - I knew then forgot about that altogether, and I stand corrected.
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
EDIUS has device control and batch capture, and captures HDV directly into Canopus HQ intermediate with timecode.
That would be a nice feature on FCP. Thanks.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Regarding Adobe Premiere with Cineform, I recall from early tests that Cineform's HD Link utility has device control and works like a 2-step capture-then-transcode. I'm not sure they went to the point of implementing batch capture though, their FAQ says so (through Premiere's capture interface) but Adam might elaborate on this much better than I could.
I never use HDLink, but I always do batch capture using a Cineform preset through Premiere. Each clip is captured normally and then takes a couple of seconds to convert. If you're batch capturing, it takes longer to find the next clip than it does to decompress -- the processes occur simultaneously -- so there is no difference in total elapsed time. Full device control but no scene detect.

HDLink does scene detect, but for me it always seems to capture 15,000 clips of one frame each. There's probably a setting I'm missing somewhere.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #38
Trustee

Deleted post - repeated a point made previously.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
EDIUS has device control and batch capture, and captures HDV directly into Canopus HQ intermediate with timecode.
so i can use an edl and simply type in a bunch of i/o's and it will batch capture via firewire!?

are you sure?

will it capture straight to m2t as well?

if it does, then i'd buy edius tomorrow for it batch capture which is the only problem i have with vegas pro.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #40
Regular Crew

I can't say about EDLs, I never needed to re-capture. And for some reason the batch list edit tool is awkward in EDIUS, so it only takes instead a simple Excel sheet to type In/Out capture points and generate a .csv file that EDIUS will use as the batch capture list. Press capture and go get a cup of coffee while the device control does its work.

About m2t, I don't know. The strength of EDIUS lies in its native intermediate codec editing which brings those real-time editing & CC capabilities. EDIUS also supports native HDV editing, but as it just defeated my purpose of avoiding native MPEG2 editing, I've never tried it. Get a trial maybe?
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #41
Trustee

thanks stephan,

i'll download a trial and give it a whirl. be pretty good if it does....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7