New to FX7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Major Player

New to FX7

I was looking for a mid-sized camera with some manual controls and stumbled into a blow-out on a FX7 that was way too good to pass up.

I just decided to get Sony's extended warranty with accidental damage coverage for three years. I'm not a extended warranty fan but got one on my iMac which had three major repairs and then toasted, that warranty got me a brand new one -- newer model, even. Also, a buddy spending $750 for repairs to his 2-year old JVC pushed me over the edge. I figured I'd rather pay a little now and sleep at night than a lot later. Hoping I never need it but...like that I have it.

From my quick basic tests I really like this camera. I don't shoot in low light but ran a few tests in light darker than I'd want to shoot in for kicks. I was pleasantly surprised, footage looked great. From all I read I wasn't expecting much at all. This thing has a bunch of features that I need to learn but I was pleased that I could use most of it out of the box and prior to RTFM.

So, now I have one, someone teach me the secret handshake. :-)
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eaton View Post
I was looking for a mid-sized camera with some manual controls and stumbled into a blow-out on a FX7 that was way too good to pass up.

This thing has a bunch of features that I need to learn but I was pleased that I could use most of it out of the box and prior to RTFM.

So, now I have one, someone teach me the secret handshake. :-)
Congratulations on your find! My V1/FX7 Handbook has all the handshakes you'll need.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Dave
I have been using the FX7 for quite some time now especially for event videography and never led me down and ofcourse in dark environment there is always LIGHTS. Steve's Mullen book about the FX 7 is very good but mostly for the technical minded videographer.

Stelios
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

I'm still running it through some tests and familiarization exercises and, so far, everything's working quite well. I'm impressed at how well the auto settings are working, didn't expect it to work as well as it does -- read too many negative posts. Seems pretty darn quick at AF and even changes in focus, light intensity, and color temperature are faster yet smoother (like a nice dissolve) than I'd expected. Very pleasantly surprised. I already feel at home with it.

Just put a 62-58mm step-down ring on it and was pleased that the bayonet hood fits with it in place. I have several 58mm accessories that I plan to use on it. Tried my Sony VCL-HG0758 (58mm 0.7x) on it and like the results.

One thing I LOVE about video is that you can experiment and get the results almost immediately. No sending the footage to the lab and waiting or paying or getting notes on how the chemicals were too hot, cold, over-replenished, new emulsion... :-)
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

...no camera is going to satisfy everyone but for the price i feel the fx7 is about as good as it gets ...
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harris View Post
...no camera is going to satisfy everyone but for the price i feel the fx7 is about as good as it gets ...
I agree. I'm quite pleased that Sony chose to reintroduce the FX7 at under $2,000 price point as there's not really anything in that price range. Might get more people interested in getting one.

I thought maybe Canon would replace the GL2 with a HDV version in the same range, not yet. Don't see JVC or Panasonic coming out with one either.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Trustee

I wish they would introduce the price cut in Aus as well - Here you will not find the FX7 for under $4300 from a reputable dealer. Even grey market imports on ebay are around $4000. I'm glad I picked mine up a few months ago for $3200 - the price has been steadily increasing since.

Hmmmm... If i sold my FX7 second hand at the moment I would probably make a $500 profit! But I love it way too much for that...
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Hmmmm... If i sold my FX7 second hand at the moment I would probably make a $500 profit! But I love it way too much for that...
I stumbled into mine for less than half of the new U.S. price. Couldn't believe it and barely held in the jumping up and down in excitement. Got them to throw in a extra battery (tiny F330) and $60 HDMI cable. :-)

I can see why you love it.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

...the fx7 shoots pretty well in sd as well ...i have a panasonic dvx100a and the fx7 sd footage just looks sharper and more vibrant than the dvx100a...
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harris View Post
...the fx7 shoots pretty well in sd as well ...i have a panasonic dvx100a and the fx7 sd footage just looks sharper and more vibrant than the dvx100a...
Nice to know. I plan to pretty much shoot in HDV mode and convert to SD later as needed.

The built-in mic is better than I expected ran a PDQ test (not setting any levels) using it and three inexpensive Audio Technica mics I have laying around and the internal mic wasn't that bad.

YouTube - Sony HDR-FX7 & Audio-Technica ATR20, ATR35s & ATR55 Audio Test 1
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #11
New Boot

Given a choice between the FX7 internal mic and a hotshoe mounted ATR-55 (I own one - a purchase I have since often regretted) I would go for the internal every time. I find the ATR-55 when mounted on the shoe picks up an extreme amount of continuous hum from the camera. I suspect the hum is coming through the mounting, mechanically, rather than through the front of the mic, a feeling supported by the inordinate amount of handling noise it features if tested that way. It's definitely a mic which needs to be off-camera or, preferably, away in a cupboard somewhere.
Alan Dunlop-Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #12
Trustee

VideoGuys Australia | Rode SM3 Shock Mount
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunlop-Walters View Post
Given a choice between the FX7 internal mic and a hotshoe mounted ATR-55 (I own one - a purchase I have since often regretted) I would go for the internal every time. I find the ATR-55 when mounted on the shoe picks up an extreme amount of continuous hum from the camera. I suspect the hum is coming through the mounting, mechanically, rather than through the front of the mic, a feeling supported by the inordinate amount of handling noise it features if tested that way. It's definitely a mic which needs to be off-camera or, preferably, away in a cupboard somewhere.
I ran just noise tests with the ATR55 on both the FX7 and Canon HV30. The ATR55 is quieter on the Canon HV30 than it is on the FX7.

FX7: YouTube - Sony HDR-FX7 & Audio Technica ATR55 Motor Noise Check
HV30: YouTube - HV30 & ATR55 Motor Noise test

The FX7's internal mic surprised me, didn't expect it to be as usable as it is. I ran a second set of tests using the ATR55 just slightly off the camera to the left and on a boom.

YouTube - Sony HDR-FX7 & Audio-Technica ATR20 ATR55 Audio Test 2

It's usable for my needs in normal mode, tele mode is another story. I plan to add a Zoom H4 to my kit and maybe a Azden SGM-1X.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
The Rode SM3 shock mount is as much as the ATR55. I think I'd go with an off-camera bracket or off the camera entirely.
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eaton View Post
The Rode SM3 shock mount is as much as the ATR55. I think I'd go with an off-camera bracket or off the camera entirely.
mount around $50au / mic around $145us.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7