DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   New to FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/137609-new-fx7.html)

Dave Eaton November 11th, 2008 05:55 PM

New to FX7

I was looking for a mid-sized camera with some manual controls and stumbled into a blow-out on a FX7 that was way too good to pass up.

I just decided to get Sony's extended warranty with accidental damage coverage for three years. I'm not a extended warranty fan but got one on my iMac which had three major repairs and then toasted, that warranty got me a brand new one -- newer model, even. Also, a buddy spending $750 for repairs to his 2-year old JVC pushed me over the edge. I figured I'd rather pay a little now and sleep at night than a lot later. Hoping I never need it but...like that I have it.

From my quick basic tests I really like this camera. I don't shoot in low light but ran a few tests in light darker than I'd want to shoot in for kicks. I was pleasantly surprised, footage looked great. From all I read I wasn't expecting much at all. This thing has a bunch of features that I need to learn but I was pleased that I could use most of it out of the box and prior to RTFM.

So, now I have one, someone teach me the secret handshake. :-)

Steve Mullen November 12th, 2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Eaton (Post 962326)
I was looking for a mid-sized camera with some manual controls and stumbled into a blow-out on a FX7 that was way too good to pass up.

This thing has a bunch of features that I need to learn but I was pleased that I could use most of it out of the box and prior to RTFM.

So, now I have one, someone teach me the secret handshake. :-)

Congratulations on your find! My V1/FX7 Handbook has all the handshakes you'll need.

Stelios Christofides November 13th, 2008 03:41 PM

Dave
I have been using the FX7 for quite some time now especially for event videography and never led me down and ofcourse in dark environment there is always LIGHTS. Steve's Mullen book about the FX 7 is very good but mostly for the technical minded videographer.

Stelios

Dave Eaton November 13th, 2008 06:06 PM

Hi,

I'm still running it through some tests and familiarization exercises and, so far, everything's working quite well. I'm impressed at how well the auto settings are working, didn't expect it to work as well as it does -- read too many negative posts. Seems pretty darn quick at AF and even changes in focus, light intensity, and color temperature are faster yet smoother (like a nice dissolve) than I'd expected. Very pleasantly surprised. I already feel at home with it.

Just put a 62-58mm step-down ring on it and was pleased that the bayonet hood fits with it in place. I have several 58mm accessories that I plan to use on it. Tried my Sony VCL-HG0758 (58mm 0.7x) on it and like the results.

One thing I LOVE about video is that you can experiment and get the results almost immediately. No sending the footage to the lab and waiting or paying or getting notes on how the chemicals were too hot, cold, over-replenished, new emulsion... :-)

Matthew Harris November 14th, 2008 11:19 AM

...no camera is going to satisfy everyone but for the price i feel the fx7 is about as good as it gets ...

Dave Eaton November 14th, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Harris (Post 963691)
...no camera is going to satisfy everyone but for the price i feel the fx7 is about as good as it gets ...

I agree. I'm quite pleased that Sony chose to reintroduce the FX7 at under $2,000 price point as there's not really anything in that price range. Might get more people interested in getting one.

I thought maybe Canon would replace the GL2 with a HDV version in the same range, not yet. Don't see JVC or Panasonic coming out with one either.

John Wiley November 15th, 2008 12:43 AM

I wish they would introduce the price cut in Aus as well - Here you will not find the FX7 for under $4300 from a reputable dealer. Even grey market imports on ebay are around $4000. I'm glad I picked mine up a few months ago for $3200 - the price has been steadily increasing since.

Hmmmm... If i sold my FX7 second hand at the moment I would probably make a $500 profit! But I love it way too much for that...

Dave Eaton November 15th, 2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 963959)
Hmmmm... If i sold my FX7 second hand at the moment I would probably make a $500 profit! But I love it way too much for that...

I stumbled into mine for less than half of the new U.S. price. Couldn't believe it and barely held in the jumping up and down in excitement. Got them to throw in a extra battery (tiny F330) and $60 HDMI cable. :-)

I can see why you love it.

Matthew Harris November 16th, 2008 12:41 AM

...the fx7 shoots pretty well in sd as well ...i have a panasonic dvx100a and the fx7 sd footage just looks sharper and more vibrant than the dvx100a...

Dave Eaton November 21st, 2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Harris (Post 964294)
...the fx7 shoots pretty well in sd as well ...i have a panasonic dvx100a and the fx7 sd footage just looks sharper and more vibrant than the dvx100a...

Nice to know. I plan to pretty much shoot in HDV mode and convert to SD later as needed.

The built-in mic is better than I expected ran a PDQ test (not setting any levels) using it and three inexpensive Audio Technica mics I have laying around and the internal mic wasn't that bad.

YouTube - Sony HDR-FX7 & Audio-Technica ATR20, ATR35s & ATR55 Audio Test 1

Alan Dunlop-Walters November 25th, 2008 02:54 PM

Given a choice between the FX7 internal mic and a hotshoe mounted ATR-55 (I own one - a purchase I have since often regretted) I would go for the internal every time. I find the ATR-55 when mounted on the shoe picks up an extreme amount of continuous hum from the camera. I suspect the hum is coming through the mounting, mechanically, rather than through the front of the mic, a feeling supported by the inordinate amount of handling noise it features if tested that way. It's definitely a mic which needs to be off-camera or, preferably, away in a cupboard somewhere.

Leslie Wand November 25th, 2008 04:20 PM

VideoGuys Australia | Rode SM3 Shock Mount

Dave Eaton November 27th, 2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Dunlop-Walters (Post 968921)
Given a choice between the FX7 internal mic and a hotshoe mounted ATR-55 (I own one - a purchase I have since often regretted) I would go for the internal every time. I find the ATR-55 when mounted on the shoe picks up an extreme amount of continuous hum from the camera. I suspect the hum is coming through the mounting, mechanically, rather than through the front of the mic, a feeling supported by the inordinate amount of handling noise it features if tested that way. It's definitely a mic which needs to be off-camera or, preferably, away in a cupboard somewhere.

I ran just noise tests with the ATR55 on both the FX7 and Canon HV30. The ATR55 is quieter on the Canon HV30 than it is on the FX7.

FX7: YouTube - Sony HDR-FX7 & Audio Technica ATR55 Motor Noise Check
HV30: YouTube - HV30 & ATR55 Motor Noise test

The FX7's internal mic surprised me, didn't expect it to be as usable as it is. I ran a second set of tests using the ATR55 just slightly off the camera to the left and on a boom.

YouTube - Sony HDR-FX7 & Audio-Technica ATR20 ATR55 Audio Test 2

It's usable for my needs in normal mode, tele mode is another story. I plan to add a Zoom H4 to my kit and maybe a Azden SGM-1X.

Dave Eaton November 27th, 2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 968968)

The Rode SM3 shock mount is as much as the ATR55. I think I'd go with an off-camera bracket or off the camera entirely.

Leslie Wand November 27th, 2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Eaton (Post 969664)
The Rode SM3 shock mount is as much as the ATR55. I think I'd go with an off-camera bracket or off the camera entirely.

mount around $50au / mic around $145us.