DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Wide Angle From Father Christmas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/138942-wide-angle-father-christmas.html)

Luke Oliver December 4th, 2008 07:36 AM

Wide Angle From Father Christmas

hello everyone this is my first post so excuse any mistakes in regard to the posting fundamentals

i have looked through the forum for information on wide angle lenses for the v1 but have yet to find much information regarding which is the best. Does anyone have any recommendations a for a decent wide angle lens that will fit the v1 so i can ask santa clause for it for christmas

once again i apologize if this has been discussed and i have somehow missed it

thank u

luke

Andy Wilkinson December 4th, 2008 08:47 AM

I've used the Sony 0.8X quite a bit in the past and it's is very good, very sharp and zoom through and without too much barrel distortion but it's a big beast with the supplied hood and adds some weight to the front of the V1. Gets my vote but other will have other experiences and options for you.

A quick search through this forum section with the words 'wide angle' should pull up the multiple threads instantly that have been going on this subject over the last year or so. Good luck!

Luke Oliver December 4th, 2008 09:10 AM

thank u for ur reply, i didnt they would be so expensive

Mike Beckett December 4th, 2008 10:17 AM

That's the thing.... when you get an expensive camera, the accessories tend to be expensive too! It is painful if you're a hobbyist rather than a pro. I have a £3000 V1E... and it takes a £1600 tripod... and a £300 wide angle lens etc. to make it worth while for me. I just don't drive an expensive car or go out buying rounds of drinks all the time, or have a big mortgage!

If you get a £50 lens you'll probably regret it, and it's £50 wasted. I doubt a cheap lens will give you good quality for HD, the expensive lenses are expensive for a reason.

I have the Sony WA lens with the hood. As Andy says, it's a big beast and adds weight, but it's zoom through and the image quality is excellent. Watch out for any doorframes, lamp posts etc at the edges of your picture, they will be a bit bendy.

You can save some money by getting the lens without the hood, but it still isn't really cheap.

You could try a Raynox lens and see if they're acceptable - they all seem to be in the sub-£100 range, and are available from several UK suppliers. You can get sample videos and images of their output on an FX7 (virtually identical to V1E) at Welcome to Raynox.

Hugh Mobley December 4th, 2008 10:29 AM

Depending on how much you use the lens, I use mine only infrequently, have it if I need it, the Raynox 7062, affordable, very good wide angle, but only good up to about 70% zoom. but for indoors etc you can't beat it

Luke Oliver December 4th, 2008 11:07 AM

thanks for all the replies

its mainly for wedding cinematography ( indoors i guess) as im trying to set up my own business in guernsey ( channel islands) where i live. Ive done a few for free but just feels a bit tight inside some rooms for some shots and framing, and we have not one shop over here that deals with prosumer cameras so i cant try out any.

cheers for the help
think ill save for the sony and drink special brew