Sony HvR V1E workflow & final cut at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony HvR V1E workflow & final cut

I know there are numerous mind boggling threads about pull down and so on trying to capture a true progressive scan but does anyone have a simple workflow for shooting 25p ( i own the V1E not P) and editing on final cut pro 2, it seems i am always playing around trying to find the best setting and now i dont have a clue

i am all new to this so sorry

luke

at the moment i am capturing with HDV apple pro 422, and my sequence settings are HDV 1080i 50
is this right for a 25p picture???

regards
luke
(newbie)
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Major Player

re

Is there anyone willing to contribute to this

kind regards
luke
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You might have better luck on the Apple/Final Cut forums...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Oliver View Post

at the moment i am capturing with HDV apple pro 422, and my sequence settings are HDV 1080i 50
is this right for a 25p picture???
That's correct. If you choose HDV-Apple ProRes 422 (in the Audio/Video Settings>Capture Presets Tab), FCP will automatically capture at the original source tape frame rate. Here's an article that explains. Its focus is on NTSC, but the premise applies to Pal as well.

Capturing HDV Into ProRes Via FireWire | Moviola ? Training for Avid, Apple & Adobe | Production & Post Production Rentals & Sales | Los Angeles, Hollywood, Burbank

The author has included some Easy Setups, but the only difference between any of them is the Sequence Preset and the device control for Sony and Canon. You can make your own by editing his. I've done this and it works. Finally, even if your sequence settings are incorrect, you can let FCP Auto Conform the clips in a new sequence to match your captured media. Best of luck.
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Major Player

re

thank u for the reply i have one more question if u have time

it seems my picture is always fuzzy after i capture with pro res and horizontal lines move thorugh with motion totally unwatchable. Its fine in the viewer but once i drop in into the sequence its goes all messed up. Why is this , no settings seem to correct this and ive tries them all

if i capture in apple intermediate codec and edit my sequence i apple pro res 422 1440x1280 25p this seems to work but i dont know why
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Major Player

re

hello lee

i just compressed to a quick time movie with pro res 422 25p the footage with the lines moving across it and its seems to have cleared but i really dont know what these horizontal lines are on the sequence, surely they should not be there

sorry to ask so many questions,
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Luke,
It sounds like your sequence settings don't match your clip settings. When you place a clip in the timeline does a green bar appear over the clip? If so your sequence and clip settings don't match. You have two choices, force it to render or use Auto Conform Sequence. I suggest the latter.

You can enable Auto Conform by going to your User Preferences Auto Conform is in the Editing Tab, bottom right. Set it to Ask. That way when you add a clip to a new sequence that doesn't match you'll get this message:

For best performance your sequence and External Video should be set to the format of the clips your are editing. Change sequence settings to match clip settings? Yes or No. Select Yes and your clip should match the Sequence Settings. Keep in mind that this only works with a new sequence that doesn't have clips already added. If the sequence matches your clips then you won't be asked to conform.

Possibly the reason your export looked good is that it was rendered in the export process.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Major Player

re

sorry lee last one, and what about using AIC to capture and editing on pro res timeline before exporting pro res, will AIC mess up the pro res quality or anything, seems to work better than capturing pro res
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Major Player

There's no benefit to capturing ProRes and editing AIC. Your best bet is to capture ProRes and edit in ProRes. I do it all the time with no problems. It's always best in FCP to edit in the same codec as you capture. Otherwise you have to render before output.

Did you check to see if your clip setting match your sequence settings? The fact that it looks good in the viewer and not the canvas is a great clue to your problem. The canvas always plays in the file's native codec and resolution. The viewer plays in the Sequence setting's codec and resolution.

Finally you could consider capturing in HDV and editing in HDV. That also works well if you set the Render Control Codec to Apple ProRes. That way your clips stay in economical HDV and your renders are saved in ProRes. It's the User Preferences, Render Control Tab.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Major Player

re

well im getting annoyed now, i filmed 25p, ive just captured apple pro res 422 my sequence is 422 25p, codec and render are 422 and even in the viewer i get a notable drop in resolution, just not as clear as it should be. Im worried now as i cant find a decent workflow

luke
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Major Player

re

i hope i didn't get one of the faulty v1s with that oil paint effect thing.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Oliver View Post
i hope i didn't get one of the faulty v1s with that oil paint effect thing.
play tape direct from camera (lcd screen, or even better hdmi) to monitor. if you see problems then it's likely the camera. if you don't, then it's your workflow.

can't help anymore since i use vegas without any problems ;-)

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7