Oil Paint effect????? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Oil Paint effect?????

Ok Guys im sorry but this will be my last post for ages, ive just started shooting 25p on my v1e which i got last a year and half ago and somethings not right, i cant capture pro res with out it looking funny and even if i shoot 25p capture HDV and edit HDV 25p it all looks funny, not sharp and i get horizontal lines when i pan after i have captured same as if i capture 1080i 50 and edit 1080i 50. It just does not seem right. Do u think i have a bad V1 ????????

help me please ???

a very worried ( luke)
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Major Player

When you playback straight to a TV, do you see any playback problems? Or is it just through prores?
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Since you used the term "oil paint effect" I gather you are familiar with that particular issue with some cameras. For example see here: 25p flaw of the V1 E model is official? [Archive] - The Digital Video Information Network

However, lines when panning sounds more like a field issue with your capture workflow perhaps....which is what Greg is getting at too.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I seem to recall there was a while back a reported issue with the V1 PAL cameras in progressive mode. Apparently the US models were corrected with a recall. I may be wrong on this. Hopefully somebody will correct me. You may find the original posts if you hunt back trhough the posts here.

Two things I would examine :-

Apply de-interlace if it is an option in Pro-res capture or conversion of camera footage even though you have shot in progressive.

Capture via another software, then do the intermediate conversion of the Quicktime file in Pro-Res.

Premiere Pro for Windows has a little feature called frame blend which is by default "on". It may be worthwhile to make sure this feature if it exists in your system is selected "off" or if it is already "off" try with it "on". Who knows. Maybe it will force something happy to happen.

The horizontal image shear is an artifact you may observe with footage imported and converted to an intermediate codec from long GOP progressive CMOS cameras. You may also see this with footage converted and de-interlaced from long GOP interlace CCD cameras when fast pans occur.

The intermediate codec conversion process has to make an educated guess as to what happened between two vastly different keyframes and sometimes gets it wrong.

Please do not assign any authority to my suggestions but treat them with scepticism they deserve.

FOOTNOTE: While I have been pecking away at the keyboard I observe the previous reply has since come in and refers to the same fault and provides a link toi the discussion.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 5th, 2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7