Help HDR-FX7 or XH-A1 ! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
1) The eyeball test. Much of what I've seen shot with the XHA1 to me looks superior to the FX7/V1u, not by much, but to my eye it's slightly better. Again, not scientific just an opinion based on what I've seen.
Like I said, I haven't done any direct comparison of footage. So I assume from this you have been on a shoot with both cameras at the same time, shooting roughly the same content and you could see a difference.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Trustee

Greg - nope, no direct comparison, but I shoot my FX7's all the time in many different situations and I like to think I know what the heck I'm doing with them. Because of this I feel that I have a good handle on what the FX7 is capable of producing and from what I've seen out of the XHA1 it is my opinion that the XHA1 is a slightly more capable camera.

Now if you'll notice that I'm very careful in my wording to use terms like "feel" and "opinion" and am not claiming it as a fact, just my personal observations from being very familiar with one of the cameras in question. Also notice my repeated use of the term slightly throughout my posts. It's not night and day, it's slight, a slim margin, and therefore image quality wise the two cameras are very close, but what I've repeatedly been trying to get across is that it's not just the image quality that sets the XHA1 apart but all the added features you get for only $1,000 more that the original poster might want to consider.

Now I'm sorry that you've seemingly taken offense that someone might suggest that the FX7 might be in certain aspects inferior (however slightly) to another quite capable camera but that's my opinion, I've sated it several times in this thread and I'll say it no longer.

If you're a Sony man, maybe it will make you happy to hear me say that the V1u will give you all the added benefits of the XHA1 save for the 1/3" chips but after rebate it will only cost you $700 more than the FX7.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Trustee

i know nothing about the fx7 - i shoot v1p, however, i looked closely at the a1 before buying....

i think you'll find my comments elsewhere in this forum, but to summarise;

a. the a1 felt like a brick in my (relatively) small hands.

b. the rocker was very awkward to use

c. the menu was complicated

d. the plethora of options was mind boggling (especially if you've ever shot with a pro camera, such as a 400sp rig)

e. the lcd was pathetic.

that said - and as has been pointed out - it's a bloody good camera for all that!!!

personally, i've a preference for sony after many years of use.

ymmv.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Major Player

No offense Nathan, I was just curious why you felt the Canon had a better picture. I think most people who have used both probably prefer the Sony but they do have different looks, no doubt. As you said, the chips are completely different 1/3 CCD vs. 1/4 CMOS. And the technology behind them is completely different, as well. I am sure you are aware that the pixel shifting technology employed by the Sony (and others) is a valid technology and it allows the Sony camcorders that use it to actually produce 1920 x 1080 out of the camera section (and the HDMI output), even though it only records 1440 x 1080 in HDV. I suppose that is why many people feel the Sony produces a slightly better image, even with smaller chips.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

OK I am not a pro but I just bought the FX7 and the XH A1 for my company's side project. My buddy is more of a pro camera guy and he wanted the A1 for it's adjustments. I wanted the FX7 so I could spend the extra 1K bucks on all the extra stuff you have to buy. Well we shot some stuff but it side by side and slowly but surely my buddy started getting PO'd.
The pictures are equal. I know some will say this is better or that is better and it's true. But everything in life is a trade off and I think for the $$$ the FX7 is a much better value.

Oh yeah I'm not sure but I was under the impression that HDMI was the best thing for getting HD. The A1 does not have the HDMI connection.

Bottom line both are good cameras and if you feel the need to be a control freak and tell the camera every little thing get the A1 just don't set it side by side with the FX7 cause you could get upset you spent the extra 1K. By the way B&H has the A1 for 3K all day.

Hope it helps...
Michael Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Regular Crew

HDR-FX7 or HDR-FX1000 ?

For me if portablity is a priority the FX7 is a great choice, match that with a monopod you can stick in the snow! Wow run & shoot fun, very durable hard to beat if you are going to pack it up a mountain..... awesome hd picture! Unless you are filming spotlight dance rectials or wedding receptions which I would recommend added light, I say go with the FX7. The XH-A1 would give better overall pictures in varying light conditions but packing one around outside there are better choices, heck the new FX1000 is the same size as the XH-A1 with great low light capabilities and still less money....
Garry Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7