DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   FX7 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/143397-fx7-questions.html)

John Neff February 9th, 2009 08:19 AM

FX7 Questions

I shoot Stock video and shoot a variety of indoors outdoors nature, just about everything. I am drawn to the size and the work flow of HDV. I find if the camera is to big I am more likely to leave it at home. How do you think the FX7 would do for me, or would it be better for me to spend more for the Panasonic HMC 150 despite the AVCHD code. I like the 20x zoom for those nature shots as well. I don't know if it is ok to post my demo reel here as a link or not but would be glad to do so.

Antonie Koen February 9th, 2009 09:35 AM

I currently own the Sony V1 (pro version of the fx7). The V1 and FX7 are basically the same camera (including picture quality) accept for the fact that the V1 has XLR audio inputs and a few other settings.
I have been very happy with my V1 and I have been using it for interviews, school plays, modelling shows, church meetings, concerts, etc. For size vs picture quality vs price, the fx7 is excellent value for money. (currently selling for $1,999 at B&H). The new Sony HVR-FX1000 might also be a consideration for you (better lowlight), but is a bit bigger in the size department and selling for about $3,200 at B&H.
One nice thing about the FX7 is the full manual control which it gives you: zoom ring, focus ring, assignable buttons, etc.

I would strongly advise you to go to a retailer near you that keep stock of the camcorders you are interested in and try them out for yourself. Some people make the mistake of purchasing a camera based on written reviews. Something might look great on paper but feels completely wrong when it's in your hand.

Currently I prefer the HDV workflow to the tapeless ones. Tape is still very convenient for archive purposes and I am just waiting for AVCHD to mature a little more before i will consider it. If I have to go tapeless now, I will go with a camera like the Sony EX1, but here you are moving into a whole new price bracket ($6,000+).

Len Imbery February 9th, 2009 10:24 AM

Also looking at FX7....

Hi John, I too am considering the FX7....I recently sold my FX1 as it was getting a bit dated and was out of any sort of warranty, and I found that I didn't use it enough mainly because the size was too big....I'd previously used a Canon GL2 which I had decided was probably the largest size that I was willing to cart around.....and I guess my experience with the FX1 just proved it....
Is the FX7 quite a bit smaller than the FX1 and I was wondering if it's about the same size/weight as the old GL2?...
I'm in Canada and the best price I've found for a new FX7 is $2250 CDN which seems like a bargain since I sold my FX1 for $1900....and I'd be getting a brand new camcorder w/warranty and a newer generation.....
Len

Graham Hickling February 9th, 2009 04:52 PM

GL2 Dimensions (WxHxD) 4.6 x 5.4 x 12" Weight 2.5 lb

FX7 Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.8 x 6.2 x 12.8" Weight 3.6 lb

FX1 Dimensions (WxHxD) 6 x 7-1/4 x 14-3/8" Weight 4.5 lb

FX1000 Dimensions (WxHxD) 6.8 x 7 x 13.8" Weight 4.6 lbs

Len Imbery February 9th, 2009 06:32 PM

comparative dimensions

Thanks Graham....It looks like the FX7 might be a bit too heavy/bulky for what I want after all....

Joe Busch February 15th, 2009 01:45 AM

I think I'd check it out in person first... it's really not that bad...