25p - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Dean View Post
- this confirms my suspicions that 25p is just no good at capturing med-fast motion when shooting..... it's just not a high enough frame rate to be useful for anything other than talking heads in a studio??
Ok im gonna have to disagree with you on this:) !
explore videos on exposure room and you will find countless films all filmed in 25p/24p and you will see lots of pans / movement without judder.
25p does look different and I wouldnt use it for sports but its great for lots of other things/ faster to edit with and easy to convert to 24p( if you want to).
Yes you have to consider panning speeds as you would if you were using film but to say that its only good for talking heads is incorrect and for me its always my prefered choice.
I think I may be right in saying stillmotion always film in 24p(please correct me if wrong) and their stuff is fantastic and widely believed to be among the top wedding film companies.
cheers john
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I would suggest doing some tests and outputting to web/computer formats and to DVD and see if you really notice a difference between 25p and 50i. I did, and prefer that little extra detail in 25p.

I think some of the problem with motion artifacts is due to the HDV codec, and this naturally affects the interlaced stuff as well.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Campbell View Post
I think some of the problem with motion artifacts is due to the HDV codec, and this naturally affects the interlaced stuff as well.
I was associated with a music video shot on RED and it was shot in 24p and I can see the same types of motion artifacts and that didn't have anything to do with the HDV codec.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
I was associated with a music video shot on RED and it was shot in 24p and I can see the same types of motion artifacts and that didn't have anything to do with the HDV codec.
That's interesting!

Anyway, before I bought the V1 more than a year ago, I read through all the pro and cons of HDV vs. DV, CMOS vs. CCD, 25p vs 50i, Sony vs. Canon vs. Panasonic, blondes vs. brunettes, etc. I knew I was buying the lowest rung of the "pro" cameras and knew I would have to live with certain limitations. Since then I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the video I can pull out of the V1 and the camera has paid for itself many times over while shooting almost exclusively 25p. And I never had a client complain about motion artifacts.

So, I wouldn't call the 25p of the V1 useless. Its just another option V1 users have to adapt their video to certain situations. I am specializing in shooting video for the web, and the 25p gives me better results for that use. If I want to shoot video for a DVD product, I switch to 50i. The point is, why limit ourselves and use just 1 format?
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM   #20
New Boot

As has been said, Progressive is for those who want to achieve more of a 'film' look. Here is the trailer for a film that my friend is making shot with the HVR-V1 in 25P. Does the job :)
YouTube - Elindil's Secret Teaser
Peter Brewer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7