DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Image noise in the V1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/145508-image-noise-v1.html)

Andrew Smith March 10th, 2009 01:17 AM

Image noise in the V1

Something that bothers me is that even if you are shooting outdoors in the bright light, you still get noticeable noise from the Sony V1. An associate of mine is also disappointed with the same issue.

The kicker is that this image noise will be stealing "bitrate budget" from the content that you want to have recorded within the comparatively limited data rate of the HDV format.

In a way, I'm not entirely sure how they decided to release this camera as it is. Is it me, or do you need to add another zero to the price before you have a camera that can record stable tones in proper levels of lighting (courtesy of a larger sensor size).

I'm happily open to being educated on this. What do you guys recommend for minimising image noise?

Andrew

Martyn Hull March 10th, 2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1025297)
Something that bothers me is that even if you are shooting outdoors in the bright light, you still get noticeable noise from the Sony V1. An associate of mine is also disappointed with the same issue.

The kicker is that this image noise will be stealing "bitrate budget" from the content that you want to have recorded within the comparatively limited data rate of the HDV format.

In a way, I'm not entirely sure how they decided to release this camera as it is. Is it me, or do you need to add another zero to the price before you have a camera that can record stable tones in proper levels of lighting (courtesy of a larger sensor size).

I'm happily open to being educated on this. What do you guys recommend for minimising image noise?

Andrew

Andrew i find a little noise with my FX-7 when its on the centre sharpness 7, the noise decreases as the settings go down until there no visible noise on 0 but of course the picture is then on the soft side.

Andrew Smith March 12th, 2009 12:11 AM

Thanks. I'll adjust this and see how it makes a difference.

... just as soon as I can locate where it is in the camera menus ... :-o

Andrew

Stephan Stryhanyn March 12th, 2009 01:13 AM

Decrease sharpness a bit as said. I found sharpness 6 to bring a very nice improvement to FX7 picture, and found unnecessary to decrease it further - unless that's your personal preference naturally or you're after soft look / film look.

And if I recall correctly, early "marching ants" discussions in the forum showed that recommended sharpness settings would be different between FX7 interlaced video and V1 progressive (if you're going after progressive), like going down to 5 or 3 maybe, because of the different impacts of aliasing. So make sure to check the early V1 threads for your V1 appropriate sharpness settings.

Tom Hardwick March 12th, 2009 02:55 AM

I had a friend complain that his Z1 produced noisy pictures. Turned out he'd locked down everything but the gain, and of course that was constantly on the hunt (invisibly as it's not shown in the v'finder if not locked). It's a wild thought that might help?