To Big screen or not Big Screen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 12th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

To Big screen or not Big Screen?

Can a well lit, well shot V1U image be projected onto the big screen (I mean movie theatres, and not big screen tvs) and look like a professional doc? I'd always assumed it couldn't quite make the grade, but I've never had the money to try and transfer footage over to a format to test in a standard movie theatre.

I began a documentary several months ago, and had 2 different possibilities for getting to use an EX1, but they both appear to have fallen through.

I'm growing tired of having to keep stalling my filming out trying to get a camera that will shoot a film usuable for not just dvd but also theatrical release, but I also don't want to have my frustration make me act in haste, shoot a film that looks good on DVDs, but just doesn't cut it in a movie theatre.

I've seen several documentary's shot on lower budget cameras, that just didn't have the professional look no matter how well done the framing or the lighting is.

*My lighting and framing will be pro, but I'll be shooting on the stock lens.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The V1's specification and capabilities show that it won't flinch when presented with a big screen, even though it has tiny chips (in comparison to the EX1). Many lesser cameras have filled the big screen, that's for sure.

Of course big screens show up faults with ease, so it will help hugely if you shoot carefully, use a good tripod, mic, get bold closeups and nail the exposure. Project from Blu-ray, get the sound right and that should take care of the technicalities.

Then of course you need the ability to tell a movie story with skill, and generally this only comes with time and experience. What are you shooting with at the moment Josh? What projects have you undertaken so far? Are you jumping straight into the deep end?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Tom. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it indeed. Not really jumping into the deep end, more like swimming in from the middle of the pool ha ha. Been a cameraman/editor/producer for almost 5 years now. However no formal training in editing has resulted in slow learning and probably c+ or b- level editing skills. But I'm good with a camera (especially my V1U), and I know when to ask questions when I don't know things or simply need to bounce ideas off people.

As for storytelling, it's a bit of a deep end thing. I've done a bunch of shorter videos for sports stories, or corporate stuff telling a story, and some non-profit storytelling as well. But never anything nearly as complex in size or overall arching story.

The research comes easily though, and I love completley emersing myself in the project.

In short I'm confident about everything but two things. 1. The V1U image looking good enough for the big screen (which you've helped to alleviate quite a bit as long as I stick to my fundamentals), and 2. Stepping my editing up. I'm consulting a few friends for this as well.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Its the focus that would kill me - i find this the most difficult part of using the V1 - i have come back to the edit with take after take and still discovered the focus wasnt pin-sharp!
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
- i have come back to the edit with take after take and still discovered the focus wasnt pin-sharp!
Have you tried the view finder peaking? Also you can use the viewfinder magnification function. Both have worked well for me.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Major Player

2 questions, Lee

Your opinion of V1 viewfinder in action e.g. can the magnification be activated during record?

Have you used V1 handheld and with what results?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
2 questions, Lee

Your opinion of V1 viewfinder in action e.g. can the magnification be activated during record?
No, unfortunately you cannot use the magnification while recording. This is common on many camcorders with this function. You can display VF peaking while recording. I assign it to one of the Assign buttons so I can toggle it on and off.

Quote:
Have you used V1 handheld and with what results?
I've used it many times with the image stabilization and it works quite well. I shot this spot mostly hand held.
http://www.leebergermedia.com/2009_n...orida_fair.htm

I prefer a shoulder mounted camera, but the V1 was affordable and works well for much of what I do.
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Can a well lit, well shot V1U image be projected onto the big screen (I mean movie theatres, and not big screen tvs) and look like a professional doc? I'd always assumed it couldn't quite make the grade, but I've never had the money to try and transfer footage over to a format to test in a standard movie theatre.

I began a documentary several months ago, and had 2 different possibilities for getting to use an EX1, but they both appear to have fallen through.

I'm growing tired of having to keep stalling my filming out trying to get a camera that will shoot a film usuable for not just dvd but also theatrical release, but I also don't want to have my frustration make me act in haste, shoot a film that looks good on DVDs, but just doesn't cut it in a movie theatre.

I've seen several documentary's shot on lower budget cameras, that just didn't have the professional look no matter how well done the framing or the lighting is.

*My lighting and framing will be pro, but I'll be shooting on the stock lens.
Take it you will be using progressive josh,i have a fx-7 that only shoots interlaced and a canon hv30 that has progressive as well as cine mode, i find the progressive cine to be much softer with less resolution on my hv30 i dont know how the v1 compares.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Regarding whether or not the Sony V1 or any other HDV format camera is suitable for producing a final product on the "big screen" I believe that Scott Billups gives the best answer in his book "Digital Moviemaking 3.0".

He very clearly details the various HD formats and why the professional ones are more suited for ending up on the big screen vs. the prosumer long GOP ones.

It can be done with an HDV camera but the format is not very robust when it comes to post production manipulation and handling.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7