HVR-V1U Usage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-V1U Usage

Can anyone tell me how to check the usage by hours of HVR-V1U camcorder.

Thanks
Manohar Hegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manohar Hegde View Post
Can anyone tell me how to check the usage by hours of HVR-V1U camcorder.

Thanks
doubt if you can,only the z1 etc do that.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sure you can. Page 84 of your manual.

Martyn, your FX7 doesn't do this but the V1E does; it's on page 91 of the V1E manual.

Usually if it's from Sony's pro division (cams starting with the prefix HVR) you can get the hours yourself through the menus; if it's from the consumer division (prefix HDR) you need to take it to a shop where they can read the hours for you with a special diagnostic remote.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post

Martyn, your FX7 doesn't do this but the V1E does; it's on page 91 of the V1E manual.

Usually if it's from Sony's pro division (cams starting with the prefix HVR) you can get the hours yourself through the menus; if it's from the consumer division (prefix HDR) you need to take it to a shop where they can read the hours for you with a special diagnostic remote.
Possibly a silly question, what does the HVR stand for?
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Major Player

are you talking about the head hours, which is right in the menu, gives you the hours meter, operation, drum run, tape run and threading
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post

adam i stand corrected but i did read some misinformation somewhere that it was the Z1 upwords that does it, i have never heard about the diagnostic remote before but i dont think any shops near me would have one.any idea the average hdv head hours.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I think I found it on Page 84. The reason I had this question is I am getting my HVR-V1U a used one today through Amazon.com. I just wanted to check the usage and the condition of the camera before the thirty day return period.

Thanks again for every one for their input. This is a great forum and I am new to this forum.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Also need some more inputs as what else I need to check on the used HVR-V1U camcorder apart from the usage.

Any inputs or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Must check the firewire port. It can get blown, and is an expensive repair. See if you can capture from the camcorder via firewire.

This isn't particular to the V1, it's true of all camcorders and decks with firewire, aka. i-LINK, IEEE-1394.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I got my HVR-V1U and looks everything in good condition. I checked the usage as per page 84. I went to menu - others - hour meter and it shows as follows:

Operation 0 x 10H
Drum Run 0 x 10H
Tape Run 0 x 10H
Threading 0 x 10H

Is this right?

Also I checked the firewire by downloading the clips into Vegas 8.0d. It worked fine.

The audio seemed to be very low. This came with the original Sony mic with the wind screen.

Thanks
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #11
Major Player

the sony mic is a piece of crap, if you can step up to the rode ntg 2, finei mic and not too expensive at b&h
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manohar Hegde View Post
I got my HVR-V1U and looks everything in good condition. I checked the usage as per page 84. I went to menu - others - hour meter and it shows as follows:

Operation 0 x 10H
Drum Run 0 x 10H
Tape Run 0 x 10H
Threading 0 x 10H

Is this right?

The audio seemed to be very low. This came with the original Sony mic with the wind screen.
with zero hours i reckon you got a great deal for 2nd hand camera. i don't know of any way of resetting the counters, so.....

as hugh points out, the sony mic leaves a lot to be desired. that said, i leave mine on for ambience while using neck or other mic's into the other channel.... it's not brilliant, but it's better than none ;-)
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7