DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   WHICH W/A Lens? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/146738-w-lens.html)

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 12:25 AM

WHICH W/A Lens?

Hello,

I own an FX7 and I am torn between these three lenses. Can anyone add their two cents for me. This way I can get a better idea on which way to go?!...

Raynox HD-7062PRO 62mm 0.7x High Quality Wide Angle Converter Lens
MFR #HD7062 • B&H #RAHD7062 @$150

Raynox HDP-6000EX 0.79X High Definition Wide-Angle Conversion Lens
MFR #HDP6000EX • B&H #RAHDP6000EX @$480

Century Precision Optics 0.8x Wide Angle Converter Lens (Zoom Through, 72mm Rear)
MFR #0VS-08CV-72 • B&H #CEVS08CV72 @$480

By the way if this helps at all. I would be using this lens mostly for interviews. Hope that helps you to help me.

Thanks for the time and effort in advance.

Michael

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 10:29 AM

Anybody have any ideas?

Tom Hardwick March 27th, 2009 10:42 AM

A wide-angle converter for interviews? Are you working in very confined spaces Michael? Adding any sort of glass to the front of the zoom will degrade the quality slightly - more flare, more distortion, less sharpness.

Which makes me think the 0.8x lenses are a lot of money for not a very powerful converter. They're kept mild to keep down the distortions primarily, but it doesn't make your footage 'frighteningly wide' as you track room to room, say. The FX7 starts out at 37.4 mm equiv, so a 0.8x only gives you a 30 mm wide-angle. Yawn.

The Raynox 0.7x you quote has a 62 mm attachment thread, and will most probably cause vignetting on the FX when you use a 72>62 step-down ring.

Have you considered Sony's 0.8x for this camera?

tom.

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1034545)
A wide-angle converter for interviews? Are you working in very confined spaces Michael? Adding any sort of glass to the front of the zoom will degrade the quality slightly - more flare, more distortion, less sharpness.

Which makes me think the 0.8x lenses are a lot of money for not a very powerful converter. They're kept mild to keep down the distortions primarily, but it doesn't make your footage 'frighteningly wide' as you track room to room, say. The FX7 starts out at 37.4 mm equiv, so a 0.8x only gives you a 30 mm wide-angle. Yawn.

The Raynox 0.7x you quote has a 62 mm attachment thread, and will most probably cause vignetting on the FX when you use a 72>62 step-down ring.

Have you considered Sony's 0.8x for this camera?

tom.

No have not looked at Sony for this one. I just got their newest one for the SR11, so I will go have a look right now. ***EDIT*** Yes, I did look at that lens. There is not much info on it though. I am not married to any of these lenses I just want to go a bit wider and not sacrifice too much pic quality.

The room is about 3m x 3m so tight space.

Adam Gold March 27th, 2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1034545)

The FX7/V1 *is* 62mm front thread, so no step ring is necessary. The FX1 and 1000 and their pro equivalents are 72mm.

Tom Hardwick March 27th, 2009 10:55 AM

Sorry - brain not in gear - I was thinking FX1/1000.

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1034553)
The FX7/V1 *is* 62mm front thread, so no step ring is necessary. The FX1 and 1000 and their pro equivalents are 72mm.

The Century lens requires the step down ring or step up ring depending on how you look at it. Have you seen or used the Sony o.8?

Adam Gold March 27th, 2009 11:05 AM

Tom and I were both referring to the Raynox 62mm.

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1034565)
Tom and I were both referring to the Raynox 62mm.

Got it! Any advice on which way to go Adam?

Adam Gold March 27th, 2009 11:16 AM

I've never had a need to use a wide angle, ever, so I'm not an expert. But Century is supposed to be the gold standard of add-on lenses in this class. The more expensive of the Raynoxes are supposed to be pretty good, much better than their cheap ones. I guess you get what you pay for here.

Alan Craven March 27th, 2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1034571)
I've never had a need to use a wide angle, ever, so I'm not an expert. But Century is supposed to be the gold standard of add-on lenses in this class. The more expensive of the Raynoxes are supposed to be pretty good, much better than their cheap ones. I guess you get what you pay for here.

The Century 2X converter made for the V1 - it uses the lens hood bayonet fitting rather than the 62mm filter thread for its mount - is first rate, as are the other Century lenses I have used in the past.

Century have always had an excellent reputation, and they are now part of the renowned Schneider Group. They are expensive, but with lenses, you get what you pay for!

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Craven (Post 1034584)
The Century 2X converter made for the V1 - it uses the lens hood bayonet fitting rather than the 62mm filter thread for its mount - is first rate, as are the other Century lenses I have used in the past.

Century have always had an excellent reputation, and they are now part of the renowned Schneider Group. They are expensive, but with lenses, you get what you pay for!

OK, but, with the Century lens I will have to use the step up ring. Is that a problem? I know you guys made mention of it. I know you were talking about another cam though. If the Century is the way to go then I'm gonna order it. The only other lens on the table is the Sony that was brought up earlier.

I swear I'm almost there fellas...LOL

Mike Beckett March 27th, 2009 12:51 PM

Michael,

I've got a room (albeit with a bed in it) that's about 3m by 3m. I could get you some with and without screengrabs with my V1 and Sony 0.8x lens.

Would that be any help?

Michael Cox March 27th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1034623)
Michael,

I've got a room (albeit with a bed in it) that's about 3m by 3m. I could get you some with and without screengrabs with my V1 and Sony 0.8x lens.

Would that be any help?

Mike, That would be great. That is exactly what I am dealing with. I thought after I picked the camera the hard part was over. BUT no, now I have to try and buy the right garbage for it. Thanks a bunch for the offer. Can't wait to see it.

Mike Beckett March 27th, 2009 02:48 PM

It's a bit late tonight I'm afraid (Friday night in Ireland!) but I'll do that first thing Saturday morning when it's light.

I presume you'll be using a tripod? Clearly you can get more into shot if you are handheld jammed into the corner of the room. I will try the tripod against one wall and some handheld.

Sorry if the wait is too long!