DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   HVR V1 Low Light (night) test footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/180881-hvr-v1-low-light-night-test-footage.html)

Sergio Barbosa April 10th, 2009 04:46 AM

HVR V1 Low Light (night) test footage

This is some random footage I took while testing the camera for 25p vs. 50i and standard gamma vs. cinema type 1, in low light (night exterior).
The footage was all shot in a hurry, handheld (just a bit shaky), around the city where I live.
Sony HVR V1 Low Light Test Footage on Vimeo
You should download the original video for better viewing! It's available for download on Vimeo.

After close appreciation, I decided to go with 50i, instead of 25 p. This progressive mode adds some sort of extra noise reduction that takes away some of the texture of the image (this is also valid for bright daylight pictures). 25p blurs the image and turns "normal" noise into "blocks" of noise...quite unpleasant and unnatural.
About the gamma, I liked the cinema gamma much better. It does take away some light (just a little), but on the other hand, almost takes away the noise, even at 18 dB of gain (max).

The most part of this video was shot in 1080i50, cinema gamma type 1, iris open, gain at 18dB, as it seemed to me, from the first tests, that it's the best way to shoot low light with this camera. I'm not saying that if I absolutely need to get the most light out of the camera, I'm not gonna switch to standard gamma, but it does show a lot more noise.

I hope it helps someone.

Seth Bloombaum April 10th, 2009 09:15 AM

Sergio, that's very interesting. So far, I've avoided cinegamma, but now I'm looking forward to testing it in low-light conditions. Perhaps a test between cinegamma vs. crushing the blacks a little bit in post...

I wouldn't have guessed that the gamma change would affect noise from gain - thanks!

Mike Beckett April 10th, 2009 10:42 AM

Wow... that's interesting. I'd never have thought to try using cinegamma at night - that was pretty good footage for the V1!

I don't really do night shooting, but you've got me thinking now. Thank you Sergio!

Sergio Barbosa April 10th, 2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1075028)
Perhaps a test between cinegamma vs. crushing the blacks a little bit in post...

I did test that, but the shadows weren't as smooth as with cinegamma.
On the other hand, you can lift the exposure by one stop or so, on a picture shot with cinegamma, and it won't hurt the picture, thus compensating for the light loss, when compared no normal gamma.
I advise you to test that and take your own conclusions!

Sergio Barbosa April 10th, 2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1075373)
Wow... that's interesting. I'd never have thought to try using cinegamma at night - that was pretty good footage for the V1!

I don't really do night shooting, but you've got me thinking now. Thank you Sergio!

You're welcome.
I don't shoot much at night, but as I am entering the world of music videos and cinema, I wanted to test the camera for night exteriors, and I think I (we) 've got a pretty good tool to work with.

Hugh Mobley April 10th, 2009 08:44 PM

I shoot with a V1 also, I need to get out and get some night shots, we are supposed to get over to the new area Disney just put in, waiting for a nice night, btw, your video Pop, I did vote for that one for Philip Blooms contest, really liked the clip, the natural light and all. My V1 will get a work out when we start shooting our upcoming TV show for public tv, Colorful OC