DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Sony v1u (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/187273-sony-v1u.html)

Chris and Julie Vigeant April 11th, 2009 09:00 PM

Sony v1u

We just bought this cam and are currently learning it's functions and parameters. Is there anyone out there who has this model with extensive working knowledge of it? We'd appreciate your feedback and/or comments. We sure would like to get some work with this cam as soon as possible.

Thanks -

Chris and Julie V.

Tom Hardwick April 14th, 2009 06:14 AM

I'd say the V1 is like any other camera out there - the XH, Z1, Z5, HMC150 and so on. Presumably you've moved to the V1 from the PD170 or similar? Getting the best out of the camera has far more to do with using it day after day than reading the instruction book or chatting on this forum.

But maybe you have specific points you're not clear about?

tom.

Ken Campbell April 14th, 2009 11:37 AM

Welcome to one of the greatest forums on the planet!

In case you don't know, there is a sub-forum here dedicated to the V1 and its little brother the FX7. Lots of interesting stuff there.

The V1 is my main camera and I like it a lot despite some minor limitations like low light sensitivity. It needs a lot of playing around with to understand how to configure it to your particular needs and get the shots you want. Its hard to mess things up with the camera so explore the menu a bit and remember what you change. Then explore the picture profiles.

The only thing to be careful of is connecting the firewire to the camera while it is on. Always turn the camera off before connecting. Some suggest turning off the computer as well and connecting everything while off. I never had a problem connecting with the computer already on but the camera off, but many have fried their firewire port connecting while both are on.

Have fun!

David Tamés April 14th, 2009 12:19 PM

I've used the V1 on and off on several shoots over the past year, and it's a nice camera, great handling (I like the fact it's smaller than the Z1), however, low light performance is the Achilles of this camera. But given the size and price, it's a good performer. I will certainly second Ken Campbell's FireWire port caution tip, had a friend fry a Sony camera by pugging FireWire in and out while camera was powered on, so just to be safe, I always turn off camera, plug in FireWire, then turn on camera, better safe than sorry.

Ron Little April 17th, 2009 08:07 AM

Having fried several firewire ports from cannon and panny cameras I can tell you it has nothing to do with wether the computer or camera is on or not. It is the order in which you plug them up. Never have the firewire connected to the camcorder first. When the firewire is connected to the camcorder the other end of the wire can pick up static electric electricity from your other equipment and fry the port. If you do not believe me here is a test you can do. Hold one end of the wire in the palm or your hand so the end of the wire is pressed against the palm. Then take the other end and wave it in front of a monitor that has a static charge. A spark will jump thru the wire and shock you in the palm. This is how I discovered what was happening to my cameras. I was unplugging it from the computer and moving it to another computer as I moved the wire to connect it, the end would pass in front of a monitor and zap the camcorder. I fried a gl2 and a dvx before I discovered what was going on. Since then I have not had a problem now I do not turn either off I plug up to the computer first touch the end to my hand to make sure there is no static build up then plug in the camera. Just never have the camera plugged up alone.

Ken Campbell April 17th, 2009 10:44 AM

Thanks for the clarification!

Greg Laves April 21st, 2009 08:12 PM

Chris and Julie, one tip I would pass on is that grain seems to be acceptable up to 6 db gain. Beyond that, the V1 produced too much grain for my taste.

One other point. When taping with sweeping pans, the image stabilization would produce small "catch up" jerks when OIS was set on the standard setting. The "Soft" setting produced smoother, better looking pans for me.

Tom Hardwick April 22nd, 2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Laves (Post 1122112)
When taping with sweeping pans, the image stabilization would produce small "catch up" jerks when OIS was set on

Just to note that this really only applies to tripod work - any handheld pans and tilts means these tiny jerks go completely unnoticed.
And Ron's advice is worth heeding: ''first touch the end to my hand to make sure there is no static build up then plug in the camera''. I too always do this - short the end of the Firewire to a finger and with a finger of the same hand touch the Firewire socket on the camera or VCR into which it's going to be plugged.

tom.