V1U in cold & high altitude at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1U in cold & high altitude

Does anyone have experience with the V1U in cold and/or high altitude conditions? The average temperature where I'm thinking about going will be around 32°F (0°C) and I'm not sure if it's necessary or worthwhile to buy a Polarbrace Polar Mitten. Being just at the freezing point, not sure if its necessary as long as the camera's not spending hours sitting in the cold.

Any thoughts?
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Cold Weather

Ive put my V1u thru a good amount of wet and cold eviroments and it has worked flawlessly. I made a waterproof cover out of rain pants and I keep an umbrella for harder rain. When i bring the camera in from the cold I leave it in the bag to warm slowly to reduce condensation. I dont think elevation will be a factor. You can always use pockets inside of a cover for warmth to help the battery life, but I haven't seen a great reduction in this.
Garry
Garry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Garry. I've got a KATA rain cover and had planned to line it with a few layers of fleece lining just to be safe. In case cold became an issue. In any case I've got a few backup batteries, but get good life off of each one (between 6 and 8 hours). My main concern was for dropouts or complete failure of the camera due to freezing, or below freezing, temperatures.
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

Something you will have to be aware of is the potential for the grease / lubricants to change. Their viscosity will be affected by the low temperatures. I'm not too sure what the cut-off point is (temperature wise) for this to be an issue.

It is possible - should you need - to have cameras custom assembled at the Sony factory with the appropriate alternate lubricants for these temperatures. Part of the fun is to ensure that they are kept in refrigeration from that point until they get to the destination for shooting use.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7