12-Hour Reset to Full Auto at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

12-Hour Reset to Full Auto

Does anyone know of any methods of bypassing/disabling this? I find that it's extremely annoying to have to deal with, especially since most settings are managed by buttons, rather than switches. Not that it's hard to deal with, but a lot of the filming I do requires a very quick setup, film, and breakdown (as in 1-2 minutes from start to finish)...
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Depends on which settings you mean. Simple exposure stuff, just slide the AUTO LOCK/HOLD switch to HOLD and those variables should remain where you set them forever. Much other stuff you can put into a Picture Profile or a Camera Profile, so a couple of button presses and you're always there. But a few other settings will always default back to factory values.

But they way I have my FX7s set up, no matter how long it's been between uses, they fire up just as I left them.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It's more the autofocus turning on, steadyshot being re-enabled, white balance going from a custom preset to auto, and shutterspeed reverting back to 60 that are the issues. I'll try that bit about the Camera Profile, though. Maybe that'll do it.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I just powered up one of my FX7s, which has been sitting idle for a few weeks. Steadyshot has remained off, PP1 is still in effect, peaking is still on, audio is still in manual, AGC limit still at the same level as before, AT iris limit still the same. WB did indeed revert back to AUTO.

Shutter speed should always be on 60 anyway unless you are doing something really specialized, but if you have it set manually and the switch is on HOLD it should stay where you set it.

Are you storing your cam with batt on or at least plugged in (or both)?

I have steadyshot on one of the ASSIGN buttons so it's a quick push. I also have a checklist for my shooters showing what icons should be in the LCD/VF so it's a quick 30 seconds and they are ready to go, and most importantly are all the same.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I film action sports mainly, so having a fast shutterspeed is a must.

I keep a battery in at all times.

I also have steadyshot on a preset (along with markers); my main issues are that I'm used to my old VX1000, where steadyshot and manual focus were both controlled by switches. Oh well.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I shoot a lot of action sports as well, and I'd never shoot at anything other than 1/60th. Otherwise it has that odd stroby stuttery look. I assumed a faster shutter would make my videos better at first too, and I shot my first few tapes that way and hated it.

Oh well, I guess to each his own.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Major Player

I don't have my V-1 any more but mine never auto reset my settings after any period of time. Neither does my Z7.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

This an FX7, not a V1U. My mistake in not stating that earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
I shoot a lot of action sports as well, and I'd never shoot at anything other than 1/60th. Otherwise it has that odd stroby stuttery look. I assumed a faster shutter would make my videos better at first too, and I shot my first few tapes that way and hated it.

Oh well, I guess to each his own.
*shrugs* I don't really think that it looks stroby or stuttery. Here's my first test edit with the cam (excuse the 2 blurry clips and the headchops - filming fish 16:9 is totally different from shooting fish 4:3): http://vimeo.com/5650662
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #9
Trustee

I think I might know what this is.

My V1E reset itself after being stored with the battery removed for over 2 months (I was off travelling), and it kept resetting itself. The internal battery needed to be recharged, this is mentioned in the manual, page 125:

"Connect your camcorder to a wall outlet using the supplied AC Adaptor, and leave it with the POWER switch set to OFF (CHG) for more than 24 hours."

The FX7 isn't that different to the V1 (XLR and software differences only), so it is probably the same procedure.

Luckily I backed up my camera profile to memory stick, so it was easy to restore. Not sure if this is an option with the FX7. I've not put the cam in storage since (been using it more often), and the problem hasn't recurred - so I presume that the internal battery is getting charged from normal camera usage with the on-board batteries.
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
Here's my first test edit with the cam (excuse the 2 blurry clips and the headchops - filming fish 16:9 is totally different from shooting fish 4:3): Morgan Hill on Vimeo
Motion looks nice enough to me here! Although wandering a bit off topic (your thread ;-), would you mind sharing the exact format & encoding settings you used to upload to Vimeo? Meaning resolution, frame rate, interlacing, codec, and bit rate. I've had the most absurd difficulties trying to obtain reasonably smooth FX7 videos on Vimeo (with a free account and the added difficulty of shooting 50i though), which weren't even remotely comparable to your bike video.
Stephan Stryhanyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Stryhanyn View Post
Motion looks nice enough to me here! Although wandering a bit off topic (your thread ;-), would you mind sharing the exact format & encoding settings you used to upload to Vimeo? Meaning resolution, frame rate, interlacing, codec, and bit rate. I've had the most absurd difficulties trying to obtain reasonably smooth FX7 videos on Vimeo (with a free account and the added difficulty of shooting 50i though), which weren't even remotely comparable to your bike video.
Thanks.

I export a progressive (that is to say, deinterlaced) HDV .m2t through Media Encoder in Premiere Pro 2.0, and then run that through Handbrake using these settings (http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/handbrake.png).
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7