Connecting to Dell Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Trustee

Connecting to Dell Monitor

Has anyone tried running the HDMI out to a computer monitor using a HDMI to DVI converter? Any gotchas that I need to know about?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I haven't tried this specifically, although I can later today.

The thing is, the HDMI specification includes a copy protection scheme. Although the HDMI output from the V1 is not copy protected, it does check to see if downstream devices (eg. your monitor) support the HDCP spec. This is part of the V1's compliance with HDCP.

If a downstream device does not support HDCP, the V1's output will automatically downgrade to standard def.

So, the question becomes does the DVI input on your Dell monitor support HDCP? Some do, some don't. Perhaps there is a specification for the monitor you can check.

BTW, the HDMI/DVI adaptor also needs to support HDCP. Most recent adaptors and cables do.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Trustee

I've run the HDV out to my 20" Acer widescreen monitor using a 20 foot HDMI lead and an HDMI-DVI convertor.

Worked fine, no problems. Only thing was, the monitor is 16:10 and the V1 is 16:9 HDV, so the shape was a bit off.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Trustee

I've got the Dell 2407 which doesn't play nice with the FX7/V1u according to some old threads I found here. Darn.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7