Sony V1U Focus ring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony V1U Focus ring

Hi Everyone, I am still trying to figure out all the features in my V1U, and one place I have the hardest part figuring out is the manual focus ring.

Suppose I have an object infront of me and I want to blur the background, why can't I do this unless, I stand back from the object and zoom in. This is a big problem for me because its hard to adjust the focus, and keep the camera steady.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? please help.. Thanks
Rishi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The only thing you've done 'wrong' Rishi is to buy a camera that uses minute ¼" chips. It's because the chips are so small that the camera uses very short focal length lenses (yet even so doesn't give you a decent wide-angle) and so with these short focal lengths comes oodles of depth of field (dof) as you've found.

So yes - the only way to get differential focus (where the background and foreground are softer than the object focused on) is to

1) Use full telephoto
2) have the background as far away as possible
3) Focus as close as possible
4) Use maximum aperture (raise the shutter speed and switch in the ND filters if necessary).

A bit limiting, isn't it? Especially as the maximum aperture at full tele is only f/2.8.

If you want less dof, chose a camera with bigger chips - it's as simple as that. Don't listen to those that will tell you that a 20x zoom will help.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Major Player

What Tom said, or get a Letus or Red Rock. But those can cost as much as a used V1.

Pretty much the smaller the chips, the smaller the lens & the greater the DOF.
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Cheapest Solution

Cheapest solution is probably getting one of the new DSLRs that do video. A fast 50 or 85mm f1.8 lens will give you much better shallow depth of field than you'll ever get with a prosumer video cam. I wouldn't want to use a DSLR for most of my video, but for these specific shots, they will soon be a real bargain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7