FX7 Low light vs Canon XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #1
New Boot

FX7 Low light vs Canon XL2

I am a Canon XL2 user and considering a Sony FX7 purchase. I'd like to get opinions from anyone that has worked with both the XL2 and FX7 in an ambient, low light setting, like a poorly lit reception hall. I know everyone has a different opinion of acceptable grain or gain. However, I also own an HV30 Canon, and can not tolerate its horrible grain in low light. If the FX7 is as bad as the HV30, I won't even consider it.

I welcome any other suggestions on HDV or DV cameras that meet or beat the XL2's low light ability.
Dan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Dan,
You will be disappointed with the FX7's low light performance. In 06' I bought the V1U which uses the same imaging chips. Recently I upgraded to the HVR-Z7 and the low light performance is much improved. You might consider the HVR-Z5 as well.

Lee
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've never shot with a Canon so can't compare, but it's fair to say the V1/FX7 is okay but not great. For really good low-light you'd need the FX1000 or Z5. The 1000 is about a grand more than the FX7, and the Z5 roughly another thousand above that.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Dan, I have the FX7 and if I were you, and the criteria was low light capability, then I wouldn't choose the FX7, I would go for the FX1000 or the Z5 as Adam suggested.

Stelios
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for all of your honest opinions about the FX7. Thats why I signed up to DVinfo.
I'm pretty close to making my decision now. It will most likely be the Canon XHA1s.
Dan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Be careful. According to the specs, the A1s (about 7 lux at 1/60) is even worse than the FX7 (4 lux at 1/60) in low light. But take the specs with a grain of salt.

Really, check out the FX1000. It's amazing. Nothing comes close.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7