allscan mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

allscan mode

I've been shooting with my V1 on 'allscan' mode. As far as I could work out this is the mode where what you see on the foldout screen is what you capture on the tape. However when capturing a tape on FCP I realised the edge of the captured image showed more than I could see on the foldout screen of the camera. Was I wrong about allscan or is it just not completely accurate?
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Allscan is where you have the camera shoot in "progressive" mode. The fold out screen shows the viewable / safe area.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

No, there's some confusion about this. Leonie has it right. Page 72 (79 for V1P) of the manual. Progressive on the V1 is called PROG. SCAN, page 63 (70 for V1P).
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

Ahh. I had a nasty feeling this might happen if I answered off the top of my head without doucble-checking against the camera or manual.

Dang. Sorry about that.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OK so... was I right about allscan? My understanding is that when allscan is off, you are capturing more than you can see on the foldout screen, and when it's on, what you see is what you get (supposedly anyway) . ?
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes. In fact, the manual says you're supposed to see a black border around your picture in the cam's LCD when you shoot in ALLSCAN mode.

Interstingly, newer Sonys don't even have this mode -- I think they do ALLSCAN by default as overscan is likely a dying issue, what with CRTs going away...
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Interestingly, newer Sonys don't even have this mode -- I think they do ALLSCAN by default as overscan is likely a dying issue, what with CRTs going away...
Not so with the Z7. Both the flip out monitor and view finder failed to reveal some vignetting from my wide angle adapter. I liked the All Scan feature on my V1 and had it assigned to one of the assign buttons. I wish they had included it on the Z7 or at least a true underscan VF.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That's interesting and good to know. It was just my assumption that if the mode wasn't offered as an option, it was "on" by default.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7