DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Wonder Woman Day 2009 shot with Sony V1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/471782-wonder-woman-day-2009-shot-sony-v1.html)

Justin Zimmerman January 27th, 2010 12:08 PM

Wonder Woman Day 2009 shot with Sony V1

directed, shot and edited this project for free to support domestic violence shelters in Portland. Moby donated the soundtrack. 30P mode on the V1. manual everything. sharpness at 3. shutter 1/60. 100% hand-held. enjoy.

YouTube - Wonder Woman Day 2009

Aaron Lopresti drawing outtake here:

YouTube - How to draw the Martian Manhunter like Aaron Lopresti...

Seth Bloombaum January 27th, 2010 01:44 PM

Well done!

Really liked the editing style, the balance of interview, music and a kajillion cutaways made for very nice pacing.

I think the PCC video students are gonna' have some fun counting the cutaways in the next class. I'm telling them "Shoot more cutaways than you think you'll need. Then do that again, then shoot some more." This piece will help them believe, I think.

Nice shots too!

Justin Zimmerman January 28th, 2010 11:25 AM

Thanks, Seth.

It was 100% volunteer, so I got the call a couple days before the actual event...though I've participated in past Wonder Woman Days as a comic fan and comic writer. I went into the day having no real idea what the "story" was going to be...the "cutaways" (or b-roll as I call 'em) BECAME the story! The interviews became voice-overs, the donated Moby soundtrack became the unifying thread and the b-roll defined the piece...the audience is supposed to feel like they are there, watching the details of WWD 2009 unfold.

That was my process, anyway. If it will be of any help to your students, poke around my YouTube site:

YouTube - zimfilm's Channel

and my website:

bricker-down productions

Last but not least, I taught at three universities before moving out here at going 100% into the field. Hats off to you!

Jordan Brindle February 2nd, 2010 06:58 PM

Very well done Justin, you must have been very busy to get that many cut-aways. You did well to keep the limited space and action interesting at a good pace.

Andrew Smith February 3rd, 2010 09:34 AM

Wonderful stuff. Can't fault anything with it at all. So natural and down to earth with the feel of the finished item.

BTW, did you get Wonder Woman's phone number? She seems really nice.

Andrew

David Stoneburner February 3rd, 2010 11:39 AM

No complaints, very nice clean storytelling. I have a FX7 and really love the way it works.

Justin Zimmerman February 3rd, 2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1481118)
Wonderful stuff. Can't fault anything with it at all. So natural and down to earth with the feel of the finished item.

BTW, did you get Wonder Woman's phone number? She seems really nice.

Andrew

heh. that'd be quite a long distance relationship, there, Andrew.

Andrew Smith February 3rd, 2010 11:59 AM

I'm sure that her invisible plane would come in handy. Though there are naturally some limitations, being invisible and all that.

Actually, I'll just stop there for a moment. :)

(blushes)

Andrew

Justin Zimmerman February 3rd, 2010 02:24 PM

just the fact that you know WW flies an invisible plane means you're perfect for her.

sadly, i have no contact info...regardless of your invisible plane status!