V1 with FCP 7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1 with FCP 7?

hey folks. was very happy when the VU1 was finally integrated with FCP 6 specifically. so happy, in fact, that i've resisted upgrading to 7. are there any V1 users who've done so with success?

thanks for your quick reply!

(it actually wasn't until an UPDATE that the V1 started working professionally...)

"Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 is compatible with the Sony HVR-V1 HDV camcorder, which is capable of recording 1080p24, 1080p25, and 1080p30 footage. You can capture natively or capture to either the Apple Intermediate Codec or the Apple ProRes 422 codec. You can also output back to the Sony HVR-V1 camcorder using the Print to Video command."
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

evidently, yes. anyone have actual experience with the upgrade?

"Final Cut Pro includes support for the Sony HVR-V1 HDV camcorder, which records native
1080i50 and 1080i60 footage. As with other HDV tape-based devices, you can capture
natively or capture to either the Apple Intermediate Codec or an Apple ProRes codec.
You can also output back to the Sony HVR-V1 HDV camcorder using the Print to Video
command."
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Justin, my experience is that it works basically the same as it did in the update to 6, no better, and no worse. Not sure if that was the answer you were looking for or not. I use the capture as ProRes, so I don't get to use the "log and capture", but purely the "capture now" style of import. Although, I haven't used the 24P capture, as most of what I do is fast motion so I have stuck with 60i.
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks! i usually shoot 30P. in any event, i was unhappy with the fact that FCP didn't work well with the V1 at first...but the update fixed everything. confirmation from a 7 user was all i needed. appreciate it!
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Yup, FCP7 works absolutely fine with V1 footage. in fact i prefer my output to DVD with using prores than i did when using m2t and vegas.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah, the Pro Res CODEC was an incredible addition in FCP 6. I use it for every V1 project...
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

HDV but not SD

so as long as the internal settings on my VU1 are set to HDV, FCP 7.02 has no problem importing my HDV work into my preferred format, the Pro Res 1920 x 1080 CODEC.

but, if i put the settings on AUTO, it won't recognize the device. if i try to ingest SD footage and the FCP DEVICE settings are on either on Sony HDV or just regular NTSC DV, it won't work, even if the camera VCR settings are on DV.

it's not a big deal...i shoot HDV all the time anyway. however, i'm wondering if anyone has had luck using the Sony VU1 as a SD deck in any way, and how they achieved it!

thanks,

jcz
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #8
Major Player

re:

hey folks. I've had a V1U for a long time but it's been a few years since I've needed to capture 24P with it. The workflow used to be capture as AIC and then set the cadence, or use JES Deinterlacer or whatever, but it sounds like that's no longer the issue?

If I'm understanding correctly ProRes 422 Easy Setup (which I can set in the Easy Setup menu Format section) works somehow and removes the 29.97 wrapper? Am I getting it right?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM   #9
Major Player

re:

why ask when you can test. You guys are right. That's awesome and so easy (albeit taking up way, way more disk space). Nice to have 24P back again. So much easier, it's amazing.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The VU1 / FCP Pro Res pipeline is fantastic.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Major Player

well i cant wait for this beauty to arrive and then the workflow will breathe new life back into the V1

UrbanFox.TV Blog: Enter the Ninja – ProRes recorder
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7