DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Hoodman Hoodloupe on the Sony V1E (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/473743-hoodman-hoodloupe-sony-v1e.html)

Mike Beckett February 27th, 2010 09:19 AM

Hoodman Hoodloupe on the Sony V1E

8 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Just in case anyone is interested.

One problem I've had with my V1E over the years has been the inability to see the screen. I find the viewfinder too small for good focusing.

I have tried the Sony clip-on sushade (which was "OK"), and more recently the Hoodman 4" shade (which was much better). I didn't really like the Sock-loupe, I think my head is the wrong shape. But a day spent out filming steam trains in midwinter in painfully low and bright sunshine made me resolve to try something new.

I've been looking longingly at the Hoodman Hoodloupe for some time, but was never sure it would fit my camera, until I read one of the reseller websites in the UK who said i would fit any 3.5"-4" LCD screen. So I took the plunge, and ordered the EX1-R kit.

It was $150 for the Kit from Hoodman direct, in the USA, plus $50 postage. It was shipped pretty promptly (within 2 days), and although it made it to the UK in 2 more days, it sat with customs for a week. Not Hoodman's fault - but I had the pleasure of £22 or so to pay to Parcelforce before I could take delivery.

Contrary to earlier experiences from other users, the EX1-R kit came in a small box, not with all the wasteful packaging for the individual components of the kit. So thumbs up to Hoodman for that.

Instructions are provided. The pouch for the Hoodloupe is no good for me, nor the lanyard - but I kept them. They might be handy for use on my stills camera, it seems to fit the Lumix 3" LCD fine. Also, the default rubber eyecup is not needed.

Everythig fits together easily, it smells nicely of rubber when new, and seems to be very well made. There's a "riser" unit (the "Hoodriser") which converts the 3" Hoodloupe to fit a 4" screen. It seems to fit pretty well on the 3.5" LCD of the V1E, and if correctly aligned I don't have any light leakage into the chamber - it is close though, and over time I may need to improvise if I get leakage of light.

You attach it to the screen with the velcro camcorder strip. All stays in place securely, though it can be a little heavy and "droop" on the V1 screen. I've got to be careful I don't lean too hard on it, I reckon.

Adjustment of the diopter in the Hoodloupe is brilliant, and it is much easier to focus.

I've attached a series of photos for anyone interested. They're not great (the screen on my stills camera has bust) but should give an idea.

Overall, it's a very good unit with excellent build quality and meets my needs. Sure, I would love to get a proper shoulder cam with pro viewfinder, or a new Z5 or NX5 with improved screens and viewfinders, but that's just too expensive. For under £100 (before postage) this is great.

Downsides:
- Maybe a bit heavy for the V1 screen? But I don't think it can damage it, it's only a fre hundred grams.
- Have to keep taking it off when packing the camera (I could re-work my bag, I suppose, but I'd prefer to take it off to prevent damage)
- Not much good when handheld (I am too worried about breaking the screen). It's great on-tripod though, and a shoulder mount would probably be good too.
- The inside of the "chamber" of the Hoodloupe is slighty shiny, but I can cope with it - see the photos.
- Have to take the big rubber eyecup off the V1E's viewfinder so it doesn't stick into my cheek.

If I remember, I will provide further feedback as I get out and about with this.

D.J. Ammons February 27th, 2010 11:50 PM

Good info. Thanks for it and the pics. Always good to know what options are out there for us V1 owners. So far I have not had a problem with the LCD screen being hard to see.