HVR-V1U vs XH-A1 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Tourist

HVR-V1U vs XH-A1 footage

Hey eveyrone,

This is my first post so if I screw up or this has been done to death I apologize.

I am a very new indie film maker (just finished my first short) and I was really un happy with the quality (currently using a Canon XL-1S.) and I am now considering the switch to HD the HVR-V1U and the canon XH-A1 are both with in my budget and what I want to be able to do is get that real "Film Look" (24p? I guess?) So that I can take my movies more seriously and so will other people hopefully?

What I am looking for is that pictures speak louder than words, so who has footage from their own short films on each these cameras that they are willing to share? Thank you so much for your help!

Aaron
Aaron Seaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Major Player

YouTube - The Battle For Crete (ep 1) || New Zealand WW2 Series

This was shot on a V1. One of the best shorts i've seen on a V1 to date, shot by Logan Mcmillian, he posted the video here http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...m-shot-v1.html

You can achieve that 'film' look all in post these days mate. The V1 is a very versatile camera and i would highly recommend, however it does suffer in low-light conditions.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Trustee

I've used the FX7 and XH-A1 side by side, so here's a few of my observations:

The Canon is bigger - MUCH bigger. You don't realise until you hold them both side by side but there is a big size and weight difference which may or may not matter to you.

The Sony is cleaner at 0db but you'll need to kick the gain in alot sooner with the V1. I find the XH-A1 has a fiarly noisy image at 0db but it doesn't add too much noise when you go up to 6 or 9db. The Sony, on the other hand goes from really clean to really noisy really fast.

The Canon is alot more complicated to use. However this is because you have alot more options. t could also be because I've used Sony more often so am used to their menu system and their little push/scroll wheel.

I didn't like how the XH-A1 was configured out of the box, but if offers plenty of options for tweaking the colours to pretty much whatever you want/need.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7