DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Looking for a purchase advice (fx7) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/478292-looking-purchase-advice-fx7.html)

K.C. Kennedy May 7th, 2010 12:03 PM

Looking for a purchase advice (fx7)

Please, excuse me for reposting this question from fx1/z1 forum, I'd like to get more opinions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a small production team shooting local news and interviews. At this point it's mostly done with my FX1. We would like to purchase two more cameras that would be good enough and easy to match an FX1. Correct me if I'm wrong, FX7 at release was over $3k, and now it's right under $2k, which makes me believe it's a great value for a buck. Now, from a technical point, are the any noticable differences in image quality or anything else between fx1 and 7, and how easy is it to match the picture profiles in PP?
Thank you all in advance.
KC.

John Wiley May 8th, 2010 05:41 PM

I've matched Z1P footage with the FX7 and it was a piece of cake as long as both cameras had enough light. Once things get dim the FX7 falls apart quickly. It is an excellent camera for the price, but is getting a bit dated. If I was in your position I would consider getting a pair of HMC-40's instead. They are alot newer, use a far more robust codec, and have the optional XLR audio adaptor. The picture is much sharper than the FX7 or the FX1. Lowlight performance should be the same as the FX7 because it has the same sized chips, but they will not be as easy to match to the FX1.

Another possibility would be the Sony AX-2000. These are a lot more expensive but still an excellent value camera. You would get a massive performance boost over the FX1 and better low-light performance.

If colour matching the cameras is your top priority, then the FX7's will fit the part nicely, but there are far better cameras out there today if you can stretch your budget a little bit.

Antonie Koen May 9th, 2010 03:50 AM

I used to match my V1 (pro version of fx7 and same picture quality as fx7) rather nicely with 2 Sony fx1's. Like John mentioned, when things get dim the fx7 really begins to struggle. If you are shooting in well lit enviroments, then by all means, the fx7's picture quality will not disappoint and it is rather good value for the money. It is also a nice size if you like to travel with your cam.

If you need something for lower light scenes and still need a tape based camera, I will suggest something like the Sony FX1000 or the Sony Z5 (z5 is pro version of fx1000) which performs rather nicely in lowlight and I would imagine that there should not be any issues with matching them up with your fx1's.
Maybe somebody who uses both could give us an indication of how well they match.

The z5 will also give you the option to record to tape and memory card at the same time should you decide to purchase the optional flash card recorder.

K.C. Kennedy May 14th, 2010 10:36 AM

How does fx1 compare to fx7 by size???

Thank you in advance.
KC.

Adam Gold May 14th, 2010 01:32 PM

The FX7/V1 are almost identical in shape and size to the old VX/PD series. The FX1/Z1 are a bit larger than the current FX1000/Z5/AX2000/NX5 cams, and considerably larger than the FX7/V1. The specs are all available at the B&H and Sony websites.

K.C. Kennedy May 15th, 2010 09:57 PM

Thank you, Adam.
Sometimes things don't come to mind that seem so obvious. I just looked at the specs, fx7 is a couple of inches shorter in length, that was my concern.
I really missed out on Tiger Direct having them in stock. They are out of them now and won't have again. Bing had $240 cashback on fx7 from TD which was making the final price $1,760 at my door.
:(

Marcus Marchesseault May 16th, 2010 04:54 AM

I am going to be selling my V1u (pro model of FX7) before long as I have moved to shooting with the Canon 5Dii. It is in great shape and has low hours. I prefer to sell to a forum member. I need to capture a few tapes first, but I can probably do that this week. I'm planning to sell it as a full kit with case, batteries, etc. I have done 2-cam shoots with the V1 and FX1 together and they cut reasonably well together. I honestly believe the V1 has better color in good light than the FX1 but is a bit less sensitive in low light unless you shoot in 30p and use 1/30th shutter or 24p with 1/24th shutter. The big advantage the V1 has over the FX7 is progressive shooting and XLR mic inputs. Send me an email if you can wait a while. I'll be putting it up in the classified section eventually but could move things along for a good buyer.