DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Is it a capture or camera problem? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/481468-capture-camera-problem.html)

Brandon Barnard July 6th, 2010 10:49 AM

Is it a capture or camera problem?

Either way its my problem.

It seems that when I capture to fcp 7 from my hvr-v1u, I am getting different quality. I typically shoot in 24scan and capture with DV-NTSC 24p 23.98 advanced pulldown removal. Sometime my footage comes out looking excellent and in what looks like 1920x1440 and other times, it looks about half quality and 1280x720(Dont quote my sizes, just an example). So what do you guys think I should capture in? Also, How come sometimes my camera will capture in HDV and then when there is a break in the time code, it switches over to dv?

Thanks in advance.

John Wiley July 6th, 2010 04:06 PM

Using the DV-NTSC presets will capture in SD reolution (720x480).

You want to be using one of the HD presets - I'm not too sure what they are since I've only ever used FCP for DV footage, but capturing to ProRes if you can is a good option.

Brandon Barnard July 6th, 2010 04:41 PM

The only thing i am really mixed up about is, can i capture 24pscan footage as hd footage? I was under the impression that when you record in 24 that it automatically bumps it down to sd. Any idea?

John Wiley July 6th, 2010 08:31 PM

You can definitely capture 24p as HD.

If the 24p on the HVR-V1 is recorded with pulldown in a 60i stream, then you need to capture in a HDV 60i preset and then remove the pulldown after capturing.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; being from a PAL country 24p is not something we have to deal with often.

Brandon Barnard July 7th, 2010 11:53 AM

I usually have trouble trying to capture in hdv modes(easy setup on fcp) because fcp doesnt recognize my footage as hd. I am using the firewire 800 cord. hmmmmm.

Brandon Barnard July 9th, 2010 02:33 PM

Why cant I figure this out?

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I posted in my camera thread(sony hvr v1) and got few responses. Please feel free to move this to the correct place if need be.

I shoot with my sony Hvr-v1u and it seems like sometimes I get hd1080i footage but most of the time I am only getting sd. I typically shoot in 24pscan and when I go to capture in fcp 7, I am unable to set the capture preset to hdv. I can only capture in ntsc. Why is this? I was noticing that when I go through some tapes on the camera, the mode will switch between hdv and dv. I used to be able to find a spot on my tape that was showing up as hdv 1080i and then I would quickly set the capture presets accordingly(in hdv) and then when the footage switched back to sd during capture, it wouldnt get interrupted. But now it seems that i can never record in hdv1080i. It is always showing up as dv. I know it is not the tapes because I purchased sony's high end hdv tapes and I have also been shooting with some older panasonic ones. If anybody has any insight please let me know. Kind of a problem that henders my workflow.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon