DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1U Back Flange (Back Focus) totally out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/486260-v1u-back-flange-back-focus-totally-out.html)

Ian Calliou October 17th, 2010 04:59 PM

V1U Back Flange (Back Focus) totally out

I just bought a V1U from here and the back focus is totally out. Has anybody had Sony do a repair on this? Searching through the forums, it seems like a common issue. I spoke to someone at Sony in Canada and they said they have heard no complaints at all about this. I have the service manual but the back adjustment is done totally at the electronic level and requires a plethora of other adjustments.

Any ideas or should I bite the bullet and pay Sony Canada's $120 an hour shop rate plus 1 hour of diagnostic for a "known" problem.

Shaun Roemich October 17th, 2010 10:35 PM

See if Colin at Advance Electronics repair shop on Wall Street just north of Portage Avenue (on the left hand side) can make a suggestion IF he's still there. He was the only technician in Winnipeg I would let touch ANY of my gear.

Andrew Smith October 20th, 2010 01:29 AM

Here in Australia it's a no-brainer warranty issue. So if you have just bought the camera then get it fixed under the warranty.

From the best of my understanding of the issue, the back focus issue was from the earlier runs of manufacturing the camera. Later cameras of this model don't have the issue, so I suspect that the manufacturing problem was sorted out.

Don't be too put off by some tech in Canada saying that they have never heard of the issue. And it's totally worth having it fixed one way or another.

Andrew

Mike Beckett October 20th, 2010 06:07 AM

Ian,

Just checking - you don't have macro mode on? That can cause back focus issues. I always found macro mode confusing and found it very easy to leave it on by mistake.

You probably know all that and I'm just trying to teach you to suck eggs, but it just might save you money.

Ian Calliou October 23rd, 2010 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. I regards to the Macro thing, yes, that was the first thing that I checked and it is not turned on. The back focus is totally out on it. That being said, any other pro camera can function with the macro setting on for the most part. I don't know why Sony would not have a service menu with the back focus adjustment in there. Any pro camera operator would have done this on their cameras in the past on a regular basis. Couple that with a 20x lens and you have a recipte for disaster, which is what the V1U is in regards to back focus.

Shaun, I am tempted to take it to Advance here in Winnipeg except that although they have a reasonable shop rate, they do over bill. It is a known fact in Winnipeg that Advance Electronics overbills/quotes on repairs. I took an EX1 in and he wanted to charge me $1000 just for parts. Labour would have been another 4-6 hours. The problem with the EX1? The LCD hinge was loose. I sent it to Sony in Vancouver and it cost $250 including labour and tax. Advance knows they are the only show in town and rather than respect that, they have chosen to exploit it.

Greg Laves October 23rd, 2010 06:24 PM

I know that the folks at Sony Professional Service in California know about the V1 back focus issue. They acknoledged it when I had a back focus problem with my V1. The fixed it for me. I later sold it and bought a Z7. Another friend who has a V1 had the same problem. So it is 2 out of 2 V1's that I know of personally that have had the problem.It is an awesome camcorder and certainly worth fixing the back focus.

Andrew Smith October 24th, 2010 03:36 AM

My V1 was good from the start, but I know of two cameras that have had this issue.

One of these came to light as part of a dance school concert recording where the camera was being used for the wide shots. Cause an untold amount of grief with the dance eisteddfod people. Both cameras are now fixed under warranty.

Andrew

Lee Berger October 31st, 2010 06:15 PM

I've had mine in to Sony in Teaneck NJ twice for BF issue since 2006. Both times fixed under warranty. Now it out again. I haven't taken the time to send it back again. Using a Z7 mostly now. For me it didn't matter whether the Macro was on or off.