HVR-V1 vs. XH-A1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-V1 vs. XH-A1s

I just landed an agreement to produce 20 how-to videos. I produced some similar for the same client a few years ago, which I shot with a Sony PDX-10. Both the client and I feel it is time to upgrade to HD for these new productions. Given my budget, I've narrowed my camera choices to the Sony HVR-V1 and the Canon XH-A1s. Looking at descriptions and discussions, it appears that the HVR-V1 will be a pretty natural progression from the PDX-10, but I'm mildly concerned that the design is a little "long in the tooth". The
XH-A1s is a newer design, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a superior design.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with both cameras and/or other suggestions in the $2,700 price range.

I'll be working in a studio environment, with adequate lighting. I'll be editing on a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro (I'll probably upgrade to version 7).
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: HVR-V1 vs. XH-A1s

Hey Jeff,

If $2700 is for your camera budget, I wouldn't think of the XHA1 or Sony V1 these days. I had a Sony V1 and was delighted with it, but it is yesterday's camera.

Panasonic, Canon and JVC have useful offerings for around the $2000-$2500 mark. Panasonic's HMC41 and JVC's HM100 are as capable as the Sony V1, and are not only cheaper, they also produce much better pictures (the V1 is 2006 technology).

I moved from the V1 to the Pansonic HMC41, and am not missing the bigger, tape-based camera.

Canon's XF300 may just about be available in your price range. The Panasonic and JVC will give you some change from that $2700, enough to either buy some more accessories (spare batteries, memory cards) or just to keep it in the bank!

This of course assumes that you are happy to work with AVCHD, which requires more processing power than HDV, and not all NLEs will support it natively.

If you want to stick with tape, the newest Sony (FX-1000) is $3000+, they aren't cheap. Assuming you want XLR, then the newer models are even more expensive - so they only reason to stick with the V1 or XHA1 would be if you really, really want tape and XLR and can't afford $3000-$4000.

Also, the XHA1 also has CCDs and is better in low light, if this is a concern. All the others (including the Sony V1) are CMOS, and aren't quite as good in low light.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: HVR-V1 vs. XH-A1s

XHA1S hands down!!!
Sherman Bahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7